Where it has been introduced, CLTS has been integrated with other development initiatives. Besides ending open defecation, the focus is on a more comprehensive package which includes wastewater management, solid waste disposal, overall hygiene and more. The approach has also been modified in some countries to ‘School-led Total Sanitation (SLTS)’, whereby schools are the prime drivers in achieving ODF status. This has widened the spread of CLTS and its impact, both among adults and children. Plan, Water Aid and UNICEF have become important disseminators and champions of CLTS. Today, it is present in many countries in Asia, Africa, Latin America, the Middle East and Africa. In sub-Saharan Africa, it has taken root in 28 countries and gained the support of decision makers and professionals, who have recognised it as a successful, cost-effective approach and have issued a declaration to urge governments to take more decisive steps to ensure ODF environments among local communities.
- The Nutritional Value of Toilets - by: F H Mughal October 23, 2014Has anybody ever seen the nutritional value of toilets - so to say? No, I reckon, the obvious answer. O.Kay, then follow this link and enjoy!! www.everywomaneverychild.org/news-events...nal-value-of-toilets F H Mughal
- Re: latrine technology question about the use of two chamber rural latrine septic tanks - by: rhockkh October 23, 2014Dear Florian, Thanks for your response - very interesting. Essentially, I'm wondering if the additional piping (see red pipe in attachment 2) will ensure that 'safer' water will drain into the second soakaway tank than the original piping set up in attachment 1? Richard
- Re: Do you know about wastewater disposal in deep wells in US? - by: KeithBell October 22, 2014Chris, thanks for posting that new BBC program about pharmaceuticals in wastewater. They open the program with discussion of intersex fish downstream of WWTP blamed on estrogenic pharmaceuticals such as birth control pills. But compared to natural estrogens excreted from everyone's intestines, this appears to be a minute fraction of the problem. Who […]
- Re: sanitation 21 - by: jonpar October 22, 2014Dear F H Mughal, Thanks very for your message. I agree the document could be longer (although initially we were trying to produce something quite a bit shorter that what is available. It could in fact be a full book but there are two reasons why it isn't Firstly, although it would provide more comprehensive technical guidance, we didn't set out to […]
- Re: Do you know about wastewater disposal in deep wells in US? - by: skdentel October 22, 2014Actually, this is a good place to put in a plug for our breathable membrane latrine project, since the fabric will retain trace contaminants within the fecal sludge while it dries. We have not tested this, but it should be the case for any non-volatile pollutants since only vapors pass through. More is here.
- The Nutritional Value of Toilets - by: F H Mughal October 23, 2014
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
Add to favourites