Where it has been introduced, CLTS has been integrated with other development initiatives. Besides ending open defecation, the focus is on a more comprehensive package which includes wastewater management, solid waste disposal, overall hygiene and more. The approach has also been modified in some countries to ‘School-led Total Sanitation (SLTS)’, whereby schools are the prime drivers in achieving ODF status. This has widened the spread of CLTS and its impact, both among adults and children. Plan, Water Aid and UNICEF have become important disseminators and champions of CLTS. Today, it is present in many countries in Asia, Africa, Latin America, the Middle East and Africa. In sub-Saharan Africa, it has taken root in 28 countries and gained the support of decision makers and professionals, who have recognised it as a successful, cost-effective approach and have issued a declaration to urge governments to take more decisive steps to ensure ODF environments among local communities.
- VIDEO: Solving the World's Toilet Shortage - by: DaniBarrington April 23, 2014Video jointly published by The Conversation and SBS: theconversation.com/video-solving-the-wo...oilet-shortage-25738
- Re: SANITATION INVESTMENT TRACKER (SIT) - by: rochelleholm April 22, 2014Hello- I am looking for who to contact about the SANITATION INVESTMENT TRACKER (SIT): www.sanitationhackathon.org/applications...vestment-tracker-sit It was developed with funding from SHARE. We would like to try it here in Malawi, but have not been successful in connecting as of yet with the developers. Thanks much.
- Please help us with troubleshooting the e-mail notification (subscription) in threads that you have posted in - by: susanaforum April 22, 2014Dear Forum Users, We have been informed that a few forum users are having a problem receiving email notifications from threads that they are subscribed to (for example threads that they have started themselves). Unfortunately, at this moment, we aren’t able to pinpoint exactly why some users aren’t receiving certain forum notifications. Our technical team is […]
- Re: Video from Sanitation and Water for All (SWA) - High Level Meeting in Washington D.C., USA: April 11, 2014 - by: F H Mughal April 22, 2014Dear Elisabeth, Profound thanks - Great feedback! Twitter is not banned. Yes, please fill me up through a direct email - Thanks again Regards, F H Mughal
- Re: Flush UD and waterless urinal: breakdown costs - by: PatrickBBB April 22, 2014This article describes the climatic and hydrological conditions of Hong Kong in the context of water supply. The article also briefly describes the utilization of salt water for flushing: myweb.polyu.edu.hk/~cekwchau/WRD.pdf (copy the URL into your browser, as direct click doesn't work) It seems that the combination of a lack of fresh water sources and […]
- Re: The excravator (power auger) to empty pits (North Carolina State University, USA) - now field testing - by: muench April 22, 2014Sorry, I just noticed that the date was wrong in the above post: the correct date for this webinar is Tuesday, 29 April -- one week from now.
- Re: NEWgenerator for recovery of nutrients, energy and water from human wastes (University of South Florida, USA) - by: muench April 22, 2014Dear all, In case you have been following this thread and are interested in this research project, then the upcoming webinar number 7 on “Adding missing links in sanitation value chains” could be interesting for you: Daniel's presentation in this webinar is entitled: A compact water recycling and energy harvesting system for off-grid public toilets in l […]
- Re: SANITATION INVESTMENT TRACKER (SIT) - by: muench April 22, 2014Dear Rochelle, I have never heard of this Sanitation Investment Tracker. Can you provide some website link for it? Who is behind it? Regards, Elisabeth
- Video from Sanitation and Water for All (SWA) - High Level Meeting in Washington D.C., USA: April 11, 2014 - by: muench April 22, 2014Dear Mughal, The video of the event is now available online here on the website of the World Bank: live.worldbank.org/sanitation-water-for-...=SDN_TTWaterEN_D_EXT Note this is not on Youtube - hopefully videos on the World Bank website are not banned in Pakistan and you can view it?* By the way, is Twitter also banned? If not, then looking at the tweets with […]
- Re: Flush UD and waterless urinal: breakdown costs - by: muench April 22, 2014Dear André, I would like to pick up on something that you wrote here in your posts and to me by e-mail: I am a PhD student simulating the production of struvite from dense settings such as in Hong Kong, using seawater for toilet flushing (SWTF) as a source of free of charge Mg for P recovery. SWTF has been practiced in Hong Kong since 1958. Hong Kong has pra […]
- VIDEO: Solving the World's Toilet Shortage - by: DaniBarrington April 23, 2014
- SuSanA news mail March 2014 March 4, 2014Dear SuSanA members and partners, This news mail informs you about the latest news from SuSanA and the SuSanA partners. The newsmail is sent to 4688 subscribers and contains the following topics: 1. SuSanA cities working group meeting in Delhi, India on 23 March 2014 2. SuSanA Breaking the taboo sanitation cartoon competition 3. Preparation underway to launc […]
- Season's Greetings from the SuSanA Secretariat December 18, 2013SuSanA and Sanitation Highlights from 2013...
- SuSanA news mail November 2013 November 11, 2013Dear SuSanA members and partners The newsmail informs you about the latest news from SuSanA and the SuSanA partners. This e-mail is sent to 4287 subscribers and contains the following topics: 1. SuSanA South Asia regional meeting in Bhaktapur, Nepal and side event at SACOSAN V 2. Feedback on the 17th SuSanA meeting on 31 August in Stockholm 3. November 19 is […]
- SuSanA news mail June 2013 July 9, 2013Dear SuSanA members and partners, This bi-monthly e-mail informs you about the latest news from SuSanA and the SuSanA partners. This e-mail is sent to 3894 subscribers and contains the following topics: Dr. Peter Morgan named 2013 Stockholm Water Prize Laureate Documentation of the SuSanA core group and key stakeholder meeting now online 17th SuSanA meeting […]
- SuSanA News Mail March 2013 online March 19, 2013Dear SuSanA members and partners, This monthly e-mail informs you about the latest news from SuSanA and the SuSanA partners. This e-mail is sent to 3593 subscribers and contains the following topics: 1. Status quo analysis of SuSanA 2008 to 2012 summary now available online 2. Add your voice to the next 5 years of SuSanA 3. The 4C networking campaign 4. Vide […]
- SuSanA news mail March 2014 March 4, 2014
- Dr Peter Morgan June 3, 2013Peter Morgan – one of my Champions − has been awarded this year’s Stockholm Water Prize. Really well deserved! Congratulations Peter!
- Good question! January 30, 2013The cover of the 10 January issue of The Economist:
- World Toilet Day November 19, 2012Today is World Toilet Day – see here and also ThePublicToilet.com. The London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, in association with Domestos, has released this report which is well worth reading: Toilets for Health.
- No toilet, no bride! November 16, 2012In the UK Daily Mail of 23 October: No toilet? Then no bride − the Indian government's bizarre new campaign to increase indoor lavatories. Well, that’s one way of promoting sanitation!
- Top three toilets? October 31, 2012From the Gates Foundation website (dated 14 August): ‘Bill Gates Names Winners of the Reinvent the Toilet Challenge’:California Institute of Technology in the United States received the $100,000 first prize for designing a solar-powered toilet that generates hydrogen and electricity. Loughborough University in the United Kingdom won the $60,000 second place […]
- Dr Peter Morgan June 3, 2013
Add to favourites