New Delhi promised to build hundreds of public toilets for the 2010 Commonwealth Games. Only 9 were built, and none of them are functioning. This short report from Al Jazeera’s Sohail Rahman highlights the fact that over 50 per cent of Indians have no access to clean toilets. It focuses on the lack of facilities in India’s growing cities and in schools. The report features rural development minister Jairam Ramesh, the inevitable Bindeshwar Pathak of Sulabh International and UNICEF India’s Suzanne Coates.
- Re: Festival toilets - by: ennoschroeder September 2, 2014Hello SuSannah, sorry for the silence. We just finished our festival season here and are now back in office. As far as the composting process is concerned we are currently "outsourcing" the process to official composting plants as we didn't want to make mistakes in our first season. We have already spent quite some time in investigating other […]
- Sanitation Business Catalogue - by: F H Mughal September 2, 2014An interesting and useful publication has been disseminated by IRC. It is, in fact, a sanitation catalogue, giving a range of sanitation products and services of some 27 business entrepreneurs. Geographically, the business operations cover many country, with a large percentage from Africa. I consider it as a useful reference document for those connected with […]
- Re: Is there a difference between faecal sludge and septage? - The issue of confusing terminology - by: lucasdengel September 2, 2014My mail was intended to state that septage is all contents of the septic tank, while sludge is only the settled solids. - Rgds, Lucas
- Re: Countries with legislation that include material-flow-based and/or resource-oriented (sustainable) sanitation and waste management - by: AquaVerde September 1, 2014Dear Jürgen, Maybe Dr. Katja HANSEN, www.rsm.nl/research/departments/technolo...rchers/katja-hansen/ could help you on the issue a bit more direct, see e.g. part of her former work at: c2cislands.org/ toilets included. Good luck Detlef
- Re: Do you know about wastewater disposal in deep wells in US? - by: JKMakowka September 1, 2014Not sure what Carol was referring to, but aquifer recharge using treated (!) waste-water (through infiltration/injection boreholes) is happening also in some regions. Edit: see here for example: www.mdpi.com/2073-4441/3/4/964
- Re: Festival toilets - by: ennoschroeder September 2, 2014
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
Add to favourites