New Delhi promised to build hundreds of public toilets for the 2010 Commonwealth Games. Only 9 were built, and none of them are functioning. This short report from Al Jazeera’s Sohail Rahman highlights the fact that over 50 per cent of Indians have no access to clean toilets. It focuses on the lack of facilities in India’s growing cities and in schools. The report features rural development minister Jairam Ramesh, the inevitable Bindeshwar Pathak of Sulabh International and UNICEF India’s Suzanne Coates.
- Re: Base of the Pyramid (BoP) World Convention & Expo, ITE Headquarters & ITE College Central, Singapore - by: muench August 28, 2014For twitter users: The event that was mentioned in this thread - Base of the Pyramid (BoP) World Convention & Expo. A Brave New Marketplace: Unleashing Opportunities at the Base of the Pyramid, in Singapore - is now taking place and you can follow it on twitter by following this hashtag: #BoPConvEx Or this handle: @BoPHub twitter.com/BoPHub It's pre […]
- Re: How can a user find out about the regional distribution of other forum users? - by: muench August 27, 2014Dear Kris, I am with you on this one. In the background, we (Trevor and I) are currently discussing how to improve on this. I think we should not use Google Analytics for this at all but rather go by the member database because each member states his or her country when they register for SuSanA. So we have all that information, it is just a matter of how to […]
- Re: Is there a difference between faecal sludge and septage? - The issue of confusing terminology - by: JKMakowka August 27, 2014Yes, I was also a bit confused about it. Certainly septage seems related to septic tanks and would not apply to pit-latrine contents. While I think it would be ok to call the latter also faecal sludge if not totally fresh. I also came across the definition of septage on the wikipedia: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Septage And there it seems to refer to the entire co […]
- Re: Rate of filtration of septage through sand filter beds and technology for septage management - by: HAPitot August 27, 2014Hello Chris, Thanks for your post and the points you are raising. What you are calling elephant grass is not at all what is known as elephant grass here in northern Uganda (and it seems it's the same in Adjumani and Moroto Districts, where I have been stationed). There are probably several species known as 'elephant grass', but what we know as […]
- Re: Sanitation for All - by: joeturner August 27, 2014There is also an interesting blog I saw yesterday from Brian Arbogast at the Gates Foundation. He says: No doubt, providing people with access to toilets is a critical step. However, what we have found over the years since the MDGs were set is that mere access to toilets does not result in safe sanitation. Toilets are necessary, but not sufficient. Two more […]
- Re: Base of the Pyramid (BoP) World Convention & Expo, ITE Headquarters & ITE College Central, Singapore - by: muench August 28, 2014
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
Add to favourites