New Delhi promised to build hundreds of public toilets for the 2010 Commonwealth Games. Only 9 were built, and none of them are functioning. This short report from Al Jazeera’s Sohail Rahman highlights the fact that over 50 per cent of Indians have no access to clean toilets. It focuses on the lack of facilities in India’s growing cities and in schools. The report features rural development minister Jairam Ramesh, the inevitable Bindeshwar Pathak of Sulabh International and UNICEF India’s Suzanne Coates.
- Re: Reply: New video on Managing Feces in Sacks, plus online interview on UDDTs - by: denniskl November 24, 2014That is a superb report Madeleine and a well-conceived and managed project answers a lot of my questions and Chris, we need to dream a little I agree:) back to the think tank for more brain-cycling
- Re: Reply: New video on Managing Feces in Sacks, plus online interview on UDDTs - by: canaday November 24, 2014Hi Dennis, There is no problem storing urine, as long as the tanks are organized so the smell does not get out ... and that smell is mostly nitrogen (in the form of ammonia), fertilizer that we do not want to lose. In fact, the various documents on the safe use of urine as fertilizer (such as those downloadable from www.ecosanres.org) recommend storing urine […]
- Gates foundation mandates open-access (CC-by) for all its funded research! - by: JKMakowka November 24, 2014Link to announcement on Creative Commons Personally I think this is great news and more funders should require this (especially those funded from tax-payers money).
- Re: Your brain on climate change - lessons for sanitation? - by: JKMakowka November 24, 2014ggalli wrote: “Individuals have a cognitive bias to instant gratification,” Tima Bansal, executive director of the Network for Business Sustainability in London, Ontario, Canada, and a professor at the Ivey Business School. “Organizations, which are theoretically rational, have another mindset. Rational behavior means you would take the discounted future cas […]
- Industrial Ultrasound in redesigned toilet seat - by: dineshbr November 24, 2014This is my first post on the proof of concept towards a novel way of trying to reduce wash water use and accelerate waste settling time. We have commenced work and will post the progress with lot more details in weeks to come. Please find basic information about the project in the attached or copied below. Dinesh Bindiganavale Pradin Technologies +++++++++++ […]
- Re: Reply: New video on Managing Feces in Sacks, plus online interview on UDDTs - by: denniskl November 24, 2014
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
Add to favourites