New Delhi promised to build hundreds of public toilets for the 2010 Commonwealth Games. Only 9 were built, and none of them are functioning. This short report from Al Jazeera’s Sohail Rahman highlights the fact that over 50 per cent of Indians have no access to clean toilets. It focuses on the lack of facilities in India’s growing cities and in schools. The report features rural development minister Jairam Ramesh, the inevitable Bindeshwar Pathak of Sulabh International and UNICEF India’s Suzanne Coates.
- Re: Let's discuss cash transfer and sanitation - by: madeleine November 28, 2014Hi there Jonathan Yes cash transfer is certainly big in the emergency sector but it also growing rapidly in the development context-You will find different schemes in mid- as well as low-income countries. Cash transfers and social security system is also prioritized within the proposed SDGs here it as target #3 under the 1 goal which is very important and hi […]
- Re: Let's discuss cash transfer and sanitation - by: jonpar November 28, 2014This is interesting to me because cash transfer is new topic since I started work for Oxfam and I have encountered it in the context of emergency response.. please see www.cashlearning.org/resources/library I've not come across it referred to in the non-emergency situation as is being discussed here. What also interests me here, and what has struck me r […]
- The 2014 Sandec News has been published! - by: donahupa November 28, 2014The 2014 Sandec News has been published and contains articles about some of the main research areas at Sandec.
- Re: Bringing Sanitation Innovations to Market (B-SIM) (WSUP, UK and Ghana, Zambia, Kenya, Bangladesh) - by: tgoodwin November 28, 2014Hi Elizabeth, Thanks for all of the great links to related work. I’ve answered your follow-up questions in-line below. One thing I don't fully understand: what will be at the core of your business in terms of "toilet technology" or would you say this is secondary to everything else? You mentioned a few times the sanitation technologies emergin […]
- Re: New project - Sustainable freshwater supply for Urbanizing Maputo, Mozambique - TU Delft, Unesco-IHE, UEM - by: AndreMA November 28, 2014Dear Elisabeth, I would like to thank you for your warm welcome and apologize for this late reply but the past few months have been hectic and some tasks were left behind. 1) Water reuse vs sustainable sanitation I found the discussion about the system in Braunschweig, Germany very interesting. However, we do not define our project as ecosan but as sustainab […]
- Re: Let's discuss cash transfer and sanitation - by: madeleine November 28, 2014
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
Add to favourites