New Delhi promised to build hundreds of public toilets for the 2010 Commonwealth Games. Only 9 were built, and none of them are functioning. This short report from Al Jazeera’s Sohail Rahman highlights the fact that over 50 per cent of Indians have no access to clean toilets. It focuses on the lack of facilities in India’s growing cities and in schools. The report features rural development minister Jairam Ramesh, the inevitable Bindeshwar Pathak of Sulabh International and UNICEF India’s Suzanne Coates.
- Re: Reply: UDDT Squat pan needed for Myanmar Project - by: canaday August 23, 2014Hi David, It is good to know that your project continues, despite complications. I am surprised that you have not found a Chinese supplier of plastic squat pans yet. Are imports into Myanmar complicated? What is the cost per square meter of the most economical ceramic tiles? In the mean time, you may like to start demonstrating that UDDTs are a viable option […]
- Re: Biodigesters in Africa - by: GrahamK August 23, 2014Dear JK Makowka, I am taken aback by the implications of your comments! Are you really suggesting that most Africans are incapable of building and managing even simple biogas digesters? Not capable of doing tasks that thousands of Indians are quite capable of carrying out? You do not seem to be aware of recent progress with polythene digesters in Africa such […]
- Re: Reply: UDDT Squat pan needed for Myanmar Project - by: davidsutton August 23, 2014Hey Chris Thanks for your advice and apologies for delay in response, and really appreciate your comments. just these past 6 months have been a nightmare with work and legal issues. I am pretty sold on obtaining plastic squat pans but still need to find a supplier. Ill post a update in a few days on my struggles so far. Once again humble apologies for delaye […]
- Re: Looking for a mould for producing UDDT locally in Moldova - by: davidsutton August 23, 2014Greetings Claudia Thanks for your response and sorry for delay, had a few issues to resolve over past 6 months. I have decided to pursue the plastic squat pans for Myanmar installations Still no joy in finding a supplier for these. Currently chasing up a few leads but best prospect is to get a die made for plastic injection and manufacture in the country. I […]
- Re: Evidence-based sanitation advocacy in India to promote latrine use - by: ggalli August 22, 2014Hi Sangita, Thanks, for this. Had already followed your great work and the SQUAT report, and shared it internally within my organisation. I have a question for you or your colleagues. The topic is named 'evidence-based sanitation advocacy' yet you end your post by saying that the biggest challenge is 'convincing politicians to emphasize latrin […]
- Re: Reply: UDDT Squat pan needed for Myanmar Project - by: canaday August 23, 2014
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
Add to favourites