New Delhi promised to build hundreds of public toilets for the 2010 Commonwealth Games. Only 9 were built, and none of them are functioning. This short report from Al Jazeera’s Sohail Rahman highlights the fact that over 50 per cent of Indians have no access to clean toilets. It focuses on the lack of facilities in India’s growing cities and in schools. The report features rural development minister Jairam Ramesh, the inevitable Bindeshwar Pathak of Sulabh International and UNICEF India’s Suzanne Coates.
- Re: Featured User in July 2014 is Ina Jurga from Germany! - by: Doreen July 24, 2014Great to read about you Ina and nice to know that you were also an intern at the GIZ ecosan programme (SV NASA) (something we have in common too). Congratulations for your hard work on awareness raising and MHM. Looking forward to hearing more about you and your work in the future. Best regards, Doreen
- Re: new book on "anaerobic digestion of organic solid waste" - by: JKMakowka July 24, 2014Please also see the attached paper on process optimisation (like early flushing) of such dry-batch digesters, which should probably improve biogas production. Recirculating leachate between two or three digesters at different "ages" seems to be really promising and easy to do also.
- Re: new book on "anaerobic digestion of organic solid waste" - by: JKMakowka July 24, 2014Sorry for digging up this topic, but I would like to discuss the garage-type dry-batch digesters build out of an discarded shipping container that is mentioned in this book. I have attached the most recent details I could find on that pilot in Ghana, but it seems that due to unsatisfactory results it has not been followed up on. However due to the ease of co […]
- Re: Non-plastic removable container for UDDT (for project in Southern India) - by: canaday July 24, 2014Dear Stewart, Thanks for the update. Is the Rotary also involved in Lucas's project in India? Please tell us more about yourself and the advances of the project. Woven, polypropylene sacks are usually very easy to get, as they are commonly used for rice, flour, sugar, chemical fertilizers, etc. Used sacks here in Ecuador can cost as little as US$ 0.10. […]
- Re: Featured User in July 2014 is Ina Jurga from Germany! - by: Doreen July 24, 2014
- SuSanA news mail May 2014 June 2, 2014Dear SuSanA members and partners, The May news mail with the latest news from SuSanA and SuSanA partners was sent to 4939 subscribers and contained the following topics: 1. New Head of the SuSanA secretariat! (http://www.susana.org/lang-en/news/news-mail-archive/2014/256-2014-newsletter/937-susana-news-mail-may-2014#1._new_head_of_the_SuSanA_secretariat) As […]
- SuSanA news mail March 2014 March 4, 2014Dear SuSanA members and partners, This news mail informs you about the latest news from SuSanA and the SuSanA partners. The newsmail is sent to 4688 subscribers and contains the following topics: 1. SuSanA cities working group meeting in Delhi, India on 23 March 2014 2. SuSanA Breaking the taboo sanitation cartoon competition 3. Preparation underway to launc […]
- SuSanA news mail May 2014 June 2, 2014
Add to favourites