New Delhi promised to build hundreds of public toilets for the 2010 Commonwealth Games. Only 9 were built, and none of them are functioning. This short report from Al Jazeera’s Sohail Rahman highlights the fact that over 50 per cent of Indians have no access to clean toilets. It focuses on the lack of facilities in India’s growing cities and in schools. The report features rural development minister Jairam Ramesh, the inevitable Bindeshwar Pathak of Sulabh International and UNICEF India’s Suzanne Coates.
- Re: Is there a standard for handwashing taps/stations to learners? - by: jbr December 20, 2014Hi Hanna, Thanks for reminding about the Three Star Guide. The reference for 10-15 learners for handwashing station is a good one. In case the space of the toilet block does not permit a large handwashing station in proximity, we were considering that the minimum number of handwashing taps for toilets should be equal to the number of toilets in the school bl […]
- Re: Pathogen destruction in biogas plant vs ABR (Anaerobic Baffled Reactor) - by: KeithBell December 20, 2014Thanks for directing Dan-Eric to the concerns posted in that thread, Cristoph. It's quite presumptuous of you to think he would have found that thread otherwise, so I see no problem in reposting some information from an older thread.
- Re: Pathogen destruction in biogas plant vs ABR (Anaerobic Baffled Reactor) - by: christoph December 20, 2014Keith, don´t you remember there was a lenthly discussion in this forum about this aspect? - You took part in it. Let us not repeat the discussion here please. Christoph
- Re: Hygienic aspects of sewage sludge after AD - by: KeithBell December 20, 2014Dan-Eric, have you researched pathogenic clostridia in biogas plant waste? My general understanding is clostridium spores are selected out in AD and may cause chronic botulism in the environment including in livestock and humans. I wonder if adding lactic acid bacteria to the sludge would balance it just as they appear to do in the mammalian intestine. Detec […]
- Re: "Pulling" away from Open Defecation via Aspirational Marketing - by: canaday December 20, 2014Hi Dennis, These are great ideas. Let's remember my recent comment that I think that many open defecators prefer to be outside for fresher air and (maybe not realizing it or putting it in these terms) the washing of the ground by the rain and the sterilization of its surface via solar ultraviolet light, thus it could be a good idea to offer them a more […]
- Re: Is there a standard for handwashing taps/stations to learners? - by: jbr December 20, 2014
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
Add to favourites