New Delhi promised to build hundreds of public toilets for the 2010 Commonwealth Games. Only 9 were built, and none of them are functioning. This short report from Al Jazeera’s Sohail Rahman highlights the fact that over 50 per cent of Indians have no access to clean toilets. It focuses on the lack of facilities in India’s growing cities and in schools. The report features rural development minister Jairam Ramesh, the inevitable Bindeshwar Pathak of Sulabh International and UNICEF India’s Suzanne Coates.
- Design parameter for Planted drying beds - by: Bertin September 16, 2014Hello All, My name is Bertin HARELIMANA from RWAnda, Currently doing Masters in sanitary Engineering at Unesco-Ihe. I am doing a research on Faecal sludge characterisation in which planted drying beds is one of the treatment option. So now i am getting challenged, does FS characterisation affect the design of a Planted drying beds? Any helpful publication or […]
- Re: Wastewater reuse scheme in Braunschweig, Germany - is this an ecosan system? Is it good/sustainable? - by: KaiMikkel September 16, 2014joeturner - If it is as you say and there is an accounting, "...of these materials and the [associated] risk," then how do you explain the rapid rise of Class A sludge in the United States, a material that differs from Class B sludge only in that it has undergone a limited exothermic reaction? Existing regulations explicitly exempt Class A sludge f […]
- Re: Sanitation Product Development for Sub-Saharan Africa - affordable, aspirational latrine products, SaTo (American Standard Brands, USA and Water for People) - by: Alfonso September 16, 2014Congratulations Jim! We are currently working on Sanitation Marketing component within the framework of a basic sanitation programme/campaign in Tanzania and it looks it may solve some challenges we have encountered when looking for affordable and hygienic latrine solutions. Please keep us updated. Thanks. Alfonso
- Re: Ecosan - what is it really? And what is the problem with ecosan? Is there a problem? Too much ecosan in SuSanA? - by: KaiMikkel September 15, 2014And that's my point. These legacy systems will not stand the test of time (be it thanks to bankrupt municipalities, our looming low-energy future and/or climate change, etc.) so why continue to pour scarce public money into them when we could instead be using these resources to redesign the system instead? Sort of along the lines of "let's put […]
- Re: Simple urine valves to control odour on waterless urinals or on urine diversion toilets - by: Ababu September 15, 2014As part of the Mbabane Dry Sanitation and Waste Management Project, we are currently undertaking a community driven urine fertilization research. We have designed a simple odor trap using elastic balloons (the good ones!) that are connected to elastic bands which are in turn tied to the urine directing funnel. The elastic strings are stretched a little bit s […]
- Design parameter for Planted drying beds - by: Bertin September 16, 2014
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
Add to favourites