This issue contains some of the latest news and announcements about the role of entrepreneurs in providing water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) and household energy products and services. This includes several winners of the Social Entrepreneurs 2012 award by the Schwab Foundation and USAID support for commercializing hand washing and establishing markets for cookstoves in Haiti. Also included is a link to cookstove market assessments by the Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves, which provide suggestions for removing barriers that prevent the creation of a cookstove market for more than 20 countries.
- Re: Appropriate Septic tank Cleaning Frequency - by: vdamato April 21, 2014Hey all - Check out this guidance document on septic tank performance that I did for the Water Environment Research Foundation a few years back: Factors Affecting the Performance of Primary Treatment in Decentralized Wastewater Systems. The Research Digest is the most detailed product. See pages 2 and 17, in particular. Your observation of longer desludging […]
- Bangladesh Summit on Sustainable Development, August 17-19, 2014 - by: alysonnhayes April 21, 2014Greetings from Secretariat of Bangladesh Summit on Sustainable Development 2014!! It is our immense pleasure to inform you that Eminence, Bangladesh is organizing the Bangladesh Summit on Sustainable Development after the remarkable successes of the two consecutive global meets held in the year 2012 and 2013. The three day conference will take place from 17t […]
- Review of Support Resources in Sanitation - by: sujaya April 21, 2014Dear all, This is my first posting in SUSANA, whereby I am posting a report along with a Compendium. This report is a prelude to the development of a Proof of Concept (PoC) decision support tool by Centre for Study of Science, Technology and Policy (CSTEP) that will aid cities in providing cost-effective, inclusive and sustainable sanitation options for all […]
- Re: Greenhouse gas emissions from sanitation value chain in urban poor settlements - by: ande1978 April 20, 2014Dear Lars, I am currently working with an organization in Nairobi/Kibera called KDI. One of there projects was a composting toilet system. They did a very good job on the design. Are you working in Sub-saharan Africa, too? What is your location and any design considerations so far? Greets, Andreas
- Re: Sustainable Decentralized Wastewater Management in Developing Countries (AIT, Thailand) - by: F H Mughal April 20, 2014Dear Christoph, Visiting AIT is no problem. When you land at Suvarnabhumi Airport (New Bangkok International Airport), take "Taxi-Meter" cab for AIT. You can even stay at AIT Center (nominal room charges) and see our wonderful campus, state-of-the-art Environmental Engineering laboratories, and students' pilot-scale and bench-scale research pl […]
- Reply: Sustainable Decentralized Wastewater Management in Developing Countries (AIT, Thailand) - by: Bhaskar April 20, 2014Christoph A number of decentralized wastewater management technologies are discussed in this book published by CSE, India. Reinvent, Recycle, Reuse - Toolkit on Decentralised Wastewater Management www.cseindia.org/content/reinvent-recycl...astewater-management One of the solutions is to use fish ponds to treat sewage. The nutrients and carbon would be conver […]
- SANITATION INVESTMENT TRACKER (SIT) - by: rochelleholm April 20, 2014Hello- Does anyone have experience with the SANITATION INVESTMENT TRACKER (SIT)? Is it available for use yet? Thanks much
- Re: Costs of sanitation facilities - by: muench April 18, 2014Dear Esther, (I moved your post into this category on costs because I think it fits better here) I agree with what Ben said that costs are very context specific. My first question back to you would be: for what purpose do you want to know these costs? In which country, which setting (urban/rural) and so forth? What degree of accuracy is required? If you want […]
- Re: Webcast for Sanitation and Water for All - High Level Meeting in Washington D.C., USA: April 11, 2014 - by: F H Mughal April 18, 2014Thank you, Arno. I appreciate. Elisabeth: Such reviews are helpful. Even videos, in most cases, are out of reach for me. So, can you put up more reviews? Regards, F H Mughal
- Project Manager (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene) WASH - GHANA - by: Mobility April 18, 2014SNV is looking for a Project Manager, WASH Based in Accra, Ghana International Contract, 18 months initial term SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation. Founded in the Netherlands nearly 50 years ago, we have built a long-term, local presence in 38 of the poorest countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. Our global team of local and […]
- Re: Appropriate Septic tank Cleaning Frequency - by: vdamato April 21, 2014
- SuSanA news mail March 2014 March 4, 2014Dear SuSanA members and partners, This news mail informs you about the latest news from SuSanA and the SuSanA partners. The newsmail is sent to 4688 subscribers and contains the following topics: 1. SuSanA cities working group meeting in Delhi, India on 23 March 2014 2. SuSanA Breaking the taboo sanitation cartoon competition 3. Preparation underway to launc […]
- Season's Greetings from the SuSanA Secretariat December 18, 2013SuSanA and Sanitation Highlights from 2013...
- SuSanA news mail November 2013 November 11, 2013Dear SuSanA members and partners The newsmail informs you about the latest news from SuSanA and the SuSanA partners. This e-mail is sent to 4287 subscribers and contains the following topics: 1. SuSanA South Asia regional meeting in Bhaktapur, Nepal and side event at SACOSAN V 2. Feedback on the 17th SuSanA meeting on 31 August in Stockholm 3. November 19 is […]
- SuSanA news mail June 2013 July 9, 2013Dear SuSanA members and partners, This bi-monthly e-mail informs you about the latest news from SuSanA and the SuSanA partners. This e-mail is sent to 3894 subscribers and contains the following topics: Dr. Peter Morgan named 2013 Stockholm Water Prize Laureate Documentation of the SuSanA core group and key stakeholder meeting now online 17th SuSanA meeting […]
- SuSanA News Mail March 2013 online March 19, 2013Dear SuSanA members and partners, This monthly e-mail informs you about the latest news from SuSanA and the SuSanA partners. This e-mail is sent to 3593 subscribers and contains the following topics: 1. Status quo analysis of SuSanA 2008 to 2012 summary now available online 2. Add your voice to the next 5 years of SuSanA 3. The 4C networking campaign 4. Vide […]
- SuSanA news mail March 2014 March 4, 2014
- Dr Peter Morgan June 3, 2013Peter Morgan – one of my Champions − has been awarded this year’s Stockholm Water Prize. Really well deserved! Congratulations Peter!
- Good question! January 30, 2013The cover of the 10 January issue of The Economist:
- World Toilet Day November 19, 2012Today is World Toilet Day – see here and also ThePublicToilet.com. The London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, in association with Domestos, has released this report which is well worth reading: Toilets for Health.
- No toilet, no bride! November 16, 2012In the UK Daily Mail of 23 October: No toilet? Then no bride − the Indian government's bizarre new campaign to increase indoor lavatories. Well, that’s one way of promoting sanitation!
- Top three toilets? October 31, 2012From the Gates Foundation website (dated 14 August): ‘Bill Gates Names Winners of the Reinvent the Toilet Challenge’:California Institute of Technology in the United States received the $100,000 first prize for designing a solar-powered toilet that generates hydrogen and electricity. Loughborough University in the United Kingdom won the $60,000 second place […]
- Dr Peter Morgan June 3, 2013
Add to favourites