It was an unforgettable moment for 300 women who used to work as manual scavengers as they entered the precincts of Parliament to get an experience of the Lok Sabha [Lower House] on Tuesday [16 August 2010] for the first time.
Treated as “untouchables” and ostracised by society for the nature of their work for decades, the women belong to a class of workers who used to manually clean human excreta.
The 300 women, who hailed from Alwar and Tonk districts of Rajasthan, have stopped working as manual scavengers now. They were received by Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar as special guests.
- SuSanA news mail November 2013 November 11, 2013Dear SuSanA members and partners The newsmail informs you about the latest news from SuSanA and the SuSanA partners. This e-mail is sent to 4287 subscribers and contains the following topics: 1. SuSanA South Asia regional meeting in Bhaktapur, Nepal and side event at SACOSAN V 2. Feedback on the 17th SuSanA meeting on 31 August in Stockholm 3. November 19 is […]
- SuSanA news mail June 2013 July 9, 2013Dear SuSanA members and partners, This bi-monthly e-mail informs you about the latest news from SuSanA and the SuSanA partners. This e-mail is sent to 3894 subscribers and contains the following topics: Dr. Peter Morgan named 2013 Stockholm Water Prize Laureate Documentation of the SuSanA core group and key stakeholder meeting now online 17th SuSanA meeting […]
- SuSanA News Mail March 2013 online March 19, 2013Dear SuSanA members and partners, This monthly e-mail informs you about the latest news from SuSanA and the SuSanA partners. This e-mail is sent to 3593 subscribers and contains the following topics: 1. Status quo analysis of SuSanA 2008 to 2012 summary now available online 2. Add your voice to the next 5 years of SuSanA 3. The 4C networking campaign 4. Vide […]
- SuSanA News Mail January 2013 online January 31, 2013This monthly e-mail informs you about the latest news from SuSanA and the SuSanA partners. This e-mail is sent to 3681 subscribers and contains the following topics: 1. SuSanA's sixth Anniversary 2. Bill Melinda Gates Foundation grants now open for discussion on SuSanA forum. Join in! 3. The world we want! The post-2015 WASH sub-consultation 4. Make pos […]
- SuSanA News Mail November 2012 online November 22, 2012The monthly news mail informs you about the latest news from SuSanA and the SuSanA partners. For more frequent news updates please visit our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/susana.org (http://www.facebook.com/susana.org) or check the SuSanA discussion forum http://www.forum.susana.org (http://www.forum.susana.org). This monthly e-mail informs you about […]
- SuSanA news mail November 2013 November 11, 2013
- Dr Peter Morgan June 3, 2013Peter Morgan – one of my Champions − has been awarded this year’s Stockholm Water Prize. Really well deserved! Congratulations Peter!
- Good question! January 30, 2013The cover of the 10 January issue of The Economist:
- World Toilet Day November 19, 2012Today is World Toilet Day – see here and also ThePublicToilet.com. The London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, in association with Domestos, has released this report which is well worth reading: Toilets for Health.
- No toilet, no bride! November 16, 2012In the UK Daily Mail of 23 October: No toilet? Then no bride − the Indian government's bizarre new campaign to increase indoor lavatories. Well, that’s one way of promoting sanitation!
- Top three toilets? October 31, 2012From the Gates Foundation website (dated 14 August): ‘Bill Gates Names Winners of the Reinvent the Toilet Challenge’:California Institute of Technology in the United States received the $100,000 first prize for designing a solar-powered toilet that generates hydrogen and electricity. Loughborough University in the United Kingdom won the $60,000 second place […]
- Agroforestry and arborloos August 8, 2012In a letter to The Economist (28 July 2012) Tony Simons, Director General of the World Agroforestry Centre in Nairobi, writes that, to reduce hunger and promote food security in the Sahel, agroforestry is the way forward. As he notes, “Trees provide not only ecological resilience but also cash income, energy, environmental services, fodder for animals and nu […]
- Erdos: “World's biggest eco-toilet scheme fails” July 31, 2012“The dry toilets in Inner Mongolia's Daxing eco-community have been quietly replaced after three years of bad smells, health problems and maggots.” Oops! See the full entry in the Guardian Environment Network (30 July 2012).
- Fossas alternas July 30, 2012IRC has on its website a good photo-sequence on how to build a fossa alterna: “This photo story shows you how to construct a fossa alterna, how to empty it and how to process the compost. After 12−18 months of composting it is safe to empty a fossa alterna toilet and use the compost as fertilizer for your garden soil”. Fossas alternas? Read Peter Morgan’s To […]
- Rural sanitation July 27, 2012What Does It Take to Scale Up Rural Sanitation? by Eduardo Perez and published earlier this month by the Water and Sanitation Program is an important document because, as the report’s webpage says, “Today, 2.5 billion people live without access to improved sanitation. … Of those without access to sanitation, 75 percent live in rural areas [emphasis added].” […]
- The 2011 Pumphandle Lecture July 26, 2012Have a look at the John Snow Society’s 2011 Pumphandle Lecture Epidemiology for the Bottom Billion – where there’s not even a pump handle to remove! by Hans Rosling who’s a professor at the Karolinska Institute and also chairman of the Gapminder Foundation. An excellent lecture. Check out the Gapminder videos − you’ll find some pretty stunning ones!Who’s Joh […]
- Dr Peter Morgan June 3, 2013
- Torch Bearers in Credit Market - by: AngusSunne December 12, 2013Credit cards are a good choice for smart people looking for a reliable personal finance solution. Variety of credit cards range from student cards to credit cards for professionals, pensioners and working women. Bank credit card provides remarkable offers like purchase protection, high spending limits and superb shopping privileges. Comparing interest rates, […]
- Re: More compact DEWATS technology? - by: Rohinipradeep December 12, 2013Dear BEN. Greetings from Bangalore! Thank you for your document about Compact DEWATS. We do also DEWATS Design and implementation both conventional and prefabricated manner. I just wanted to know more details about area, cost requirements for this unit. Thank you in Advance Regards Rohini
- The Corliss Technology Review Group: Protect yourself from online fraud this festive season - by: Franchezcamine3 December 12, 2013A new report by the European Consumer Centre Network (ECC-Net) takes a look at the scams faced by consumers when shopping online. The report focuses on fraud in cross-border e-commerce and what consumers can do to protect themselves from online fraud. It has been prepared based on the complaints reported by consumers to ECC-Net in 2012. The EU Commissioner f […]
- Seminar: "Hygiene promotion in the context of development cooperation and humanitarian aid" - in German - by: GTO December 11, 2013Our next hygiene seminar is coming up. From the 18.-19. January 2014 our 2-day seminar “hygiene promotion in the context of development cooperation and humanitarian aid”, will take place in Berlin. This two day seminar is designed to provide an introduction into the various aspects of hygiene measures and the challenges of the aimed behavior changes in the s […]
- Re: Seeking input on configuration of urine collection pipes for a project that is revising plumbing codes - by: kudert December 11, 2013Dear Abe As Elisabeth pointed out, quite a lot of research results exist with urine-diverting toilets, although the conclusions of the different projects are somewhat different. Thanks to the various projects on urine diversion, we know that we (or the sanitary industries) need to develop better water-flushed and better urine diverting dry toilets. New plumb […]
- Re: The Nano Membrane Toilet (Cranfield University, UK) - by: AParker December 11, 2013Thanks for this great summary, Elisabeth! To answer some of your outstanding questions: The flush mehcniams is still beign built so we don't have any photos of it yet but there's a video of how it will work on our blog. Yes, it is just the urinary water and some of the faecal water that is separated out. But this vastly reduces the volume of the un […]
- Re: Toilet design for a unique situation - by: muench December 11, 2013Dear Mughal, You keep pointing out that Muslims use water for washing after toilet use - I think most people are aware of this... I am assuming you are pointing this out here again because you are thinking that muslims can't use UDDTs (dry toilets) for this reason? If that is the case then you are mistaken. We had a converation about it here on the foru […]
- Re: The Earth Auger Toilet: Innovation in Waterless Sanitation (Fundación In Terris, Ecuador) - by: dhapolaa December 11, 2013Good, can you have detailed drawings Warm Regards DSDhapola New Delhi ++++++++++++ My introduction (moved here by moderator from a separate post): Dera All, I am development professional having 28 + years ( including Water & Sanitation programme management, Governance with State/ULB level government bodies in India) of diverse experience in WATSAN, knowl […]
- Re: Toilet design for a unique situation - by: F H Mughal December 11, 2013Thank you, Chris. Interesting and useful reponse. We are Muslims here in Pakistan. We use water in toilets. Thank you Regards, F H Mughal
- Re: SPLASH research program on sustainable sanitation service chains in low-income, urban areas in Africa (SDC and others in Europe and Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda, Senegal, Ghana, Cameroon, Mozambique) - by: jonpar December 10, 2013Dear all, You will find some further information about the SPLASH funded research in Maputo on Sanitation System Risk Assessment at www.susana.org/docs_ccbk/susana_download...orkshop-15102013.pdf and also in the attached. We have also recently applied the methodology in Kampala (see forum.susana.org/forum/categories/59-wg-...-sanitation-planning) and it has […]
- Torch Bearers in Credit Market - by: AngusSunne December 12, 2013
Add to favourites