Sanitation experts at IRC have compiled the first version of a reference guide on low-cost sanitation for non-sewered service models, SanPack for short. Dr Christine Sijbesma and Joep Verhagen have collected materials that cover services for all stages of the sanitation life cycle, from preparation activities to the emptying, recycling and productive use of toilet contents. Per stage you can find a short intro text and links that lead you to relevant documents on a specific topic.
- Re: Valentine's Toilet With A Natural Heart - by: Amos April 15, 2014Hello Readers, Does anyone have suggestions on how to eliminate or control fungus gnats in composting toilets. Although odor has been quite easy to control the last two years of using our unvented toilet which is much like this Valentine's Toilet, we yet are having a problem with fungus gnats. Emptying the waste container weekly and washing it to remove […]
- Re: Introducing Jimma University: A new partner organisation of SuSanA - by: abebeb April 15, 2014We introduced SuSanA to Jimma University's staff and and students through the university news portal (www.ju.edu.et/)
- Re: Introducing Jimma University: A new partner organisation of SuSanA - by: abebeb April 15, 2014Dear SuSanA and partners, We are pleased to join and contribute in SuSanA forum and partnership. We are greatfull to SuSanA for introducing Jimma University (JU) in this forum and accepting JU as a partner. We will also notify our researchers to join and contribute in SuSanA forum. We have a very favorable constitution that favors us to work and contribute o […]
- Introducing Jimma University: A new partner organisation of SuSanA - by: susanaforum April 15, 2014We would like to welcome Jimma University from Ethiopia as a new SuSanA partner organisation! The following text is taken directly from their application form and was written by the partner organisation themselves. Description Jimma University (JU), is Ethiopia's first Innovative Community Oriented Education Institution of higher learning. It offers var […]
- Re: Sharing lessons from human centered design process in a refugee camp - by: PatrickBBB April 15, 2014Interesting project! I have some questions about the methodology though: Is the sample size large enough? Could there be bias in the selection of the participants of the FDG? How confident are you on the reliability of the result? I mean, in the case of an upscale, you want the pilot project to be representative for the 50.000 beneficiaries. Keep in mind I a […]
- Re: Reply: CDD Society is hosting a training on EcoSan in Bangalore in July! - by: cddsociety April 15, 2014Hi Margaret, Thank you for your note. If you would like to participate in the training, please fill out the registration form attached to our original message and e-mail it to our office. We are looking forward to hopefully meeting you during the Eco San training! All the best, CDD Society
- Re: Greenhouse gas emissions from sanitation value chain in urban poor settlements - by: canaday April 15, 2014Aloha Lars, If you can, please try to do at least some quick-and-dirty gas measurement, since the real world conditions can be complicated and unpredictable ... and a priori assumptions could lead the wrong way. If in fact no one has done so, someone urgently needs to cap a pit latrine and measure the gases emitted within. Here is some support for my asserti […]
- Re: The excravator (power auger) to empty pits (North Carolina State University, USA) - now field testing - by: FrancisdelosReyes April 14, 2014Dear all, In case you have been following this thread and are interested in my research project, then the upcoming webinar number 7 on “Adding missing links in sanitation value chains” could be interesting for you: My presentation in this webinar is entitled: Is a power auger "Excrevator" a suitable tool to empty pit latrines in South Africa and se […]
- COP for Sanitation Service Delivery proposal (West Africa) - by: KDeierlein April 14, 2014The mission of Global Communities (formerly CHF International) is to create long-lasting, positive and community-led change that improves the lives and livelihoods of vulnerable people across the globe. Global Communities is seeking a Chief of Party for an anticipated $16 million USAID-funded sanitation service delivery project in West Africa. The project se […]
- Re: Greenhouse gas emissions from sanitation value chain in urban poor settlements - by: saniman April 14, 2014Aloha Chris, Many thanks for your reply and interest in our work! Yes, you understood our approach correctly and this is the main limitation of all our estimations (rather than calculations) as all of them are based on other peoples work. And still many things have never been analysed and are based upon assumptions (no one has covered a pit latrine and measu […]
- Re: Valentine's Toilet With A Natural Heart - by: Amos April 15, 2014
- SuSanA news mail March 2014 March 4, 2014Dear SuSanA members and partners, This news mail informs you about the latest news from SuSanA and the SuSanA partners. The newsmail is sent to 4688 subscribers and contains the following topics: 1. SuSanA cities working group meeting in Delhi, India on 23 March 2014 2. SuSanA Breaking the taboo sanitation cartoon competition 3. Preparation underway to launc […]
- Season's Greetings from the SuSanA Secretariat December 18, 2013SuSanA and Sanitation Highlights from 2013...
- SuSanA news mail November 2013 November 11, 2013Dear SuSanA members and partners The newsmail informs you about the latest news from SuSanA and the SuSanA partners. This e-mail is sent to 4287 subscribers and contains the following topics: 1. SuSanA South Asia regional meeting in Bhaktapur, Nepal and side event at SACOSAN V 2. Feedback on the 17th SuSanA meeting on 31 August in Stockholm 3. November 19 is […]
- SuSanA news mail June 2013 July 9, 2013Dear SuSanA members and partners, This bi-monthly e-mail informs you about the latest news from SuSanA and the SuSanA partners. This e-mail is sent to 3894 subscribers and contains the following topics: Dr. Peter Morgan named 2013 Stockholm Water Prize Laureate Documentation of the SuSanA core group and key stakeholder meeting now online 17th SuSanA meeting […]
- SuSanA News Mail March 2013 online March 19, 2013Dear SuSanA members and partners, This monthly e-mail informs you about the latest news from SuSanA and the SuSanA partners. This e-mail is sent to 3593 subscribers and contains the following topics: 1. Status quo analysis of SuSanA 2008 to 2012 summary now available online 2. Add your voice to the next 5 years of SuSanA 3. The 4C networking campaign 4. Vide […]
- SuSanA news mail March 2014 March 4, 2014
- Dr Peter Morgan June 3, 2013Peter Morgan – one of my Champions − has been awarded this year’s Stockholm Water Prize. Really well deserved! Congratulations Peter!
- Good question! January 30, 2013The cover of the 10 January issue of The Economist:
- World Toilet Day November 19, 2012Today is World Toilet Day – see here and also ThePublicToilet.com. The London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, in association with Domestos, has released this report which is well worth reading: Toilets for Health.
- No toilet, no bride! November 16, 2012In the UK Daily Mail of 23 October: No toilet? Then no bride − the Indian government's bizarre new campaign to increase indoor lavatories. Well, that’s one way of promoting sanitation!
- Top three toilets? October 31, 2012From the Gates Foundation website (dated 14 August): ‘Bill Gates Names Winners of the Reinvent the Toilet Challenge’:California Institute of Technology in the United States received the $100,000 first prize for designing a solar-powered toilet that generates hydrogen and electricity. Loughborough University in the United Kingdom won the $60,000 second place […]
- Dr Peter Morgan June 3, 2013
Add to favourites