November 19th is World Toilet Day and this issue of the WASHplus Weekly contains links to World Toilet Day websites and recent studies and articles on communal sanitation issues. Communal or public sanitation is an important WASH issue, especially in high-density slums with a high proportion of tenants and/or frequent flooding and water-logging. The financing and sustainable management of communal/ public toilets is challenging. Please contact WASHplus if you have information to add to this or other topics for future issues of the Weekly.
- Some upcoming changes to the forum categories - by: muench November 26, 2014Dear all, With this post, I just want to prepare you for some upcoming changes to the forum categories. You will notice this change in the next few days when the top bar with the icons will suddenly look different. These changes are based on the survey results (see here: forum.susana.org/forum/categories/10-gen...2&start=12#11031 ) and I think are well d […]
- Re: RE: shit flow diagrams - does it need to be shit? - by: pippa November 26, 2014Hello All, I think the term 'shitflow' is very catchy and helps decision makers quickly appreciate what the diagram is showing. That said, one of the great strengths of these diagrams is as an advocacy tool i.e. that you can in fact walk into a Ministry and show unequivocally the sanitation status of their city, it would be a shame to lose that lev […]
- Re: A good guideline or protocol for assessing the technical functionality of sanitation technologies - by: Florian November 26, 2014Hi Jay, my colleagues at Skat have been working on a "Technology Applicability Framework", which perhaps is similar to what you have in mind. See here for the website: www.washtechnologies.net/en/ Best regards, Florian
- Re: Let's discuss cash transfer and sanitation - by: elizabethtilley November 26, 2014Great topic! In fact, my PhD research that I carried out in Durban, South Africa looks exactly at the impact of conditional cash transfers on sanitation- specifically UDDT use. I am just in the final stages of writing up, but should have something to share in early 2015. Basically though, small cash transfers were effective at getting people to use their UDD […]
- A good guideline or protocol for assessing the technical functionality of sanitation technologies - by: jay bhagwan November 26, 2014The emergence of many sanitation solutions has prompted the WRC to start a project to establish a Sanitation Technology Functionality Assessment Model. The plethora of soltuions in the market, linked to variety of treatment process such as de-hydration, aerobic, anaerobic, chemical, physical, solar drying etc. etc. has prompted the need for this tool. It is […]
- Some upcoming changes to the forum categories - by: muench November 26, 2014
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
Add to favourites