November 19th is World Toilet Day and this issue of the WASHplus Weekly contains links to World Toilet Day websites and recent studies and articles on communal sanitation issues. Communal or public sanitation is an important WASH issue, especially in high-density slums with a high proportion of tenants and/or frequent flooding and water-logging. The financing and sustainable management of communal/ public toilets is challenging. Please contact WASHplus if you have information to add to this or other topics for future issues of the Weekly.
- Improving the Wikipedia article on constructed wetlands - by: Decentral March 19, 2018Dear Elisabeth and Marcos, I have read the article and indeed it is very well structured, comprehensive and useful from my point of view. Thank you for the efforts and well done! I have suggestion for minor corrections: 1. Under Design - second paragraph 1.1 Subsurface flow could be horizontal and vertical, is not so? So may be it would be better to put - su […]
- 8th World Water Forum in Brasilia, Brazil - by: secretariat March 19, 2018Dear all, Below you can find information of all sanitation sessions, such as topic, place and time, which take place during the 8th World Water Forum in Brasilia. Thematic process Tuesday, March 20th, 2:30 – 4:00 pm, Room 23 [OS-TP-16] Session 2.b.1 - Realizing the human right to sanitation DESCRIPTION In 2010, there was consensus at the Human Rights Council […]
- 8th Emergency Environmental Health Forum in Berlin, anyone going? - by: eshaylor March 19, 2018Hi, Yes we are planning a WG8 meeting but it will most likely be an informal catchup in a local bar or restaurant. Details will be mailed out on the WG8 mailing list and we will set up a post here on the forum to keep anyone who is interested updated. Regards Esther
- Vermi-Trickling Filters (or vermifilters) for Sewage Treatment (looking for help to design) - by: BPopov March 19, 2018Hi Ben! Thanks for sharing! Maybe I didn't properly understand the construction of the the reservoir. Do you mean you create an aerated basket inside the tote made of plastic lattice and then have some kind of ventilated fabric taped to it? "To create the reservoir, I use 2” foam billets pinned with stainless steel nails to a piece of polyethylene […]
- Low cost secondary treatment of household wastewater using vermifiltration - by: JKMakowka March 19, 2018Looks interesting. But where do the worms come into play and is there still sufficient food for them after the primary vermifilter and the settling tanks? It seems to me that it might work just as well without them?
- Improving the Wikipedia article on constructed wetlands - by: Decentral March 19, 2018