Where it has been introduced, CLTS has been integrated with other development initiatives. Besides ending open defecation, the focus is on a more comprehensive package which includes wastewater management, solid waste disposal, overall hygiene and more. The approach has also been modified in some countries to ‘School-led Total Sanitation (SLTS)’, whereby schools are the prime drivers in achieving ODF status. This has widened the spread of CLTS and its impact, both among adults and children. Plan, Water Aid and UNICEF have become important disseminators and champions of CLTS. Today, it is present in many countries in Asia, Africa, Latin America, the Middle East and Africa. In sub-Saharan Africa, it has taken root in 28 countries and gained the support of decision makers and professionals, who have recognised it as a successful, cost-effective approach and have issued a declaration to urge governments to take more decisive steps to ensure ODF environments among local communities.
- Overflows from Combined Sewers - by: F H Mughal May 20, 2018Overflows from Combined Sewers Wikipedia gives the definition of combined sewers as: A combined sewer is a sewage collection system of pipes and tunnels designed to also collect surface runoff. This type of gravity sewer design is no longer used in building new communities (because current design separates sanitary sewers from runoff), but many older cities […]
- Impact of drinking water, sanitation and handwashing with soap on childhood diarrhoeal disease - by: F H Mughal May 20, 2018Impact of drinking water, sanitation and handwashing with soap on childhood diarrhoeal disease It is somewhat not quite common to have a star-studded paper (meaning that the authors are great names in water and sanitation) – the great names, I’m referring to, are: Jennyfer Wolf, Annette Pruss-Ustun, Jamie Bartram, Sophie Bonjour, Valerie Curtis, Jennifer De […]
- London Sewer-Clogging Fatbergs - by: F H Mughal May 20, 2018Yes, I agree with your views. In addition, I think the current life style in Britain and the plastic problem has its share of creating sanitary problems. F H Mughal
- anaerobic wastewater treatment plant design (UASB) - by: F H Mughal May 20, 2018Attached is a publication on anaerobic reactors. Sec: 5.2 gives the design of USAB Enjoy! F H Mughal
- London Sewer-Clogging Fatbergs - by: SusannahClemence May 20, 2018Hence the value of recording traditional technologies, cultures and habits of menstrual management. They may contain ideas transferable to struggling European waste management systems.
- Overflows from Combined Sewers - by: F H Mughal May 20, 2018