Where it has been introduced, CLTS has been integrated with other development initiatives. Besides ending open defecation, the focus is on a more comprehensive package which includes wastewater management, solid waste disposal, overall hygiene and more. The approach has also been modified in some countries to ‘School-led Total Sanitation (SLTS)’, whereby schools are the prime drivers in achieving ODF status. This has widened the spread of CLTS and its impact, both among adults and children. Plan, Water Aid and UNICEF have become important disseminators and champions of CLTS. Today, it is present in many countries in Asia, Africa, Latin America, the Middle East and Africa. In sub-Saharan Africa, it has taken root in 28 countries and gained the support of decision makers and professionals, who have recognised it as a successful, cost-effective approach and have issued a declaration to urge governments to take more decisive steps to ensure ODF environments among local communities.
- Evapotranspiration Toilet with a difference from India - by: nityajacob November 18, 2017Dear all, On the occasion of World Toilet Day, I am sharing a variant on the leach pit toilet, The Evapotranspiration Toilet (EVT). Marta Vanduzer-Snow and Pawan Singh have developed and installed this in rural Uttar Pradesh. They have tested and used it for over three years. I thank them for sharing their model and experience. The Evapotranspiration Toilet […]
- Seattle Homeless toilets - by: markllo November 17, 2017This was posted this week about some work I have been doing in honor of World Toilet Day: www.realchangenews.org/2017/11/15/one-ma...ple-just-drop-bucket
- Where there are no sewers: The toilet cleaners of Lucknow, India - by: sharadaprasad November 17, 2017A photo-essay by CS Sharada Prasad and Isha Ray November 19 is World Toilet Day. Enormous progress has been made in the global effort to provide safe and affordable toilets for the world’s poorest citizens since World Toilet Day was first declared in 2001. Significant strides have been made in “reinventing” toilet designs for low-income, water-short, unsewer […]
- French start-up WéCo launches commercialisation of ecological flush toilets with waste-water-treatment in a closed circuit - by: jorg November 17, 2017WeCo, the French start-up that invents ecological flush toilets in a closed circuit In 2015, a French couple who lived in Asia and their German friend started an ambitious project to revolutionize the current operation of toilets, which consists of wasting liters of water several times a day. They also want to change the perception of toilets by restoring th […]
- Recent research on menstrual cups needed - by: LinneaCC November 17, 2017It is very important to update the section on TSS, based on the findings from the first recorded case of TSS associated with menstrual cup use. The authors conclude that previous claims that menstrual cups are 'TSS safe' do not hold true and that the menstrual cup does, in fact "appear to provide a necessary milieu for S aureus growth during m […]
- Evapotranspiration Toilet with a difference from India - by: nityajacob November 18, 2017