New Delhi promised to build hundreds of public toilets for the 2010 Commonwealth Games. Only 9 were built, and none of them are functioning. This short report from Al Jazeera’s Sohail Rahman highlights the fact that over 50 per cent of Indians have no access to clean toilets. It focuses on the lack of facilities in India’s growing cities and in schools. The report features rural development minister Jairam Ramesh, the inevitable Bindeshwar Pathak of Sulabh International and UNICEF India’s Suzanne Coates.
- Urine-ponics for urban agriculture - by: farroyo April 25, 2018The urine-ponics is an adequate technic in urban conditions, especially in cities with deciduous trees. For produce, you can use containers with drainage at 10 cm from their bottom. The containers have been filled with 90 % leaves and 10% of soil in the top, so, it better starts in autumn. Urino-ponics use an initial dose of fermented urine, 1.5 liters to ac […]
- Collaboration with the Hindi Water Portal to bring you sanitation stories from the field in India - by: F H Mughal April 25, 2018Dear Mr. Nitya Jacob, I do get posts from India Water Portal. My question is: is India Water Portal different from Hindi Water Portal? Regards, F H Mughal
- Use of Radiation for Removal of Organic Pollutants from Water and Wastewater - by: F H Mughal April 25, 2018Use of Radiation for Removal of Organic Pollutants from Water and Wastewater A recent paper byTrojanowicz, M. et al (2017) proposes radiation for removal of organic pollutants from water and wastewater. The paper makes a compelling case. It says: Water is increasingly contaminated with organic pollutants. Some of these are contaminants of emerging concern (C […]
- General Data Protection Regulation - by: F H Mughal April 25, 2018Dear Ms. Franziska, Thank you for your enlightened and useful response. Nowadays, almost every newsletter I receive, says that under GDPR, I have to reconfirm my preferences, failing which I might not receive future correspondence. I thought, to comply with GDPR, Susana secretariat may have to ask each user to reconfirm the preferences. Kind regards, F H Mug […]
- Urine-ponics for urban agriculture - by: farroyo April 25, 2018