New Delhi promised to build hundreds of public toilets for the 2010 Commonwealth Games. Only 9 were built, and none of them are functioning. This short report from Al Jazeera’s Sohail Rahman highlights the fact that over 50 per cent of Indians have no access to clean toilets. It focuses on the lack of facilities in India’s growing cities and in schools. The report features rural development minister Jairam Ramesh, the inevitable Bindeshwar Pathak of Sulabh International and UNICEF India’s Suzanne Coates.
- Re: Exploring how to address on-going taboos and silence around MHM for girls in school - by: Mintje November 19, 2017Dear Linda, we changed your name accordingly also within the report. You can find the updated version in the library here . Best, Mintje
- Re: Addressing infrastructural barriers to MHM in schools to support inclusive and quality learning for all - by: Mintje November 19, 2017Dear Daniel, yes, the two topics ('breaking the taboo' and 'adressing infrastructural barriers') are both covered in the one report, as they have interlinkages and cannot be looked at only independently. I posted the report in both themes to make sure everyone, who participated in either of the themes receives the report in the end. You c […]
- Recent research on menstrual cups needed - by: DianeKellogg November 18, 2017Several important topics are coming up here, and even more emerge as I've read the journal articles being posted here. Thank you. I'm getting quite an education. I can see how valuable it would be for people on the front lines of MHM training to have this information. I'm thinking very specifically of women I know who do MHM programs in their […]
- Recent research on menstrual cups needed - by: siri November 18, 2017Re the issue of safety, the quoted article by Mitchell et al (2015) notes that TSS, caused by Staph. aureus, was first diagnosed in children in 1978, and occurs in both children, men and women. The incidence of TSS is low - deVries et al (2011) estimate it at 0.52/100,000 in a US population in the period 2000-2006, down from 13.7/100,000 in 1980. To calculat […]
- Evapotranspiration Toilet with a difference from India - by: nityajacob November 18, 2017Dear all, On the occasion of World Toilet Day, I am sharing a variant on the leach pit toilet, The Evapotranspiration Toilet (EVT). Marta Vanduzer-Snow and Pawan Singh have developed and installed this in rural Uttar Pradesh. They have tested and used it for over three years. I thank them for sharing their model and experience. The Evapotranspiration Toilet […]
- Re: Exploring how to address on-going taboos and silence around MHM for girls in school - by: Mintje November 19, 2017