New Delhi promised to build hundreds of public toilets for the 2010 Commonwealth Games. Only 9 were built, and none of them are functioning. This short report from Al Jazeera’s Sohail Rahman highlights the fact that over 50 per cent of Indians have no access to clean toilets. It focuses on the lack of facilities in India’s growing cities and in schools. The report features rural development minister Jairam Ramesh, the inevitable Bindeshwar Pathak of Sulabh International and UNICEF India’s Suzanne Coates.
- Donate to end open defecation in deprived communities - by: F H Mughal March 24, 2018I hope, the international donor agencies will take a notice of your request. Meanwhile, I suggest that you write to them, and send photos to them, showing the current state of affairs. F H Mughal
- Importance of Wastewater Reuse - by: F H Mughal March 24, 2018Importance of Wastewater Reuse Colombo-based CGIAR Research Program on Water, Land and Ecosystems and International Water Management Institute has produced an 8pp paper on Wastewater Reuse in Numbers. As a scene setter, the report says: “Rapid urbanization in the developing world is pushing up demand for water and food, while also generating ever larger volu […]
- WaterAid Report: Out of Order - The State of the World’s Toilets 2017 - by: F H Mughal March 24, 2018Out of Order - The State of the World’s Toilets 2017 WaterAid recently (Nov 2017) has produced a very absorbing and stimulating short (28pp) report, titled: Out of Order - The State of the World’s Toilets 2017. Typically, when a report has a title that starts with “The State of the . . .,” it is assumed that it would a large report. But, this is a short inte […]
- Vaporizing toilet claims - by: DianeKellogg March 24, 2018Can anyone tell us more about this container-based toilet, as written up in the Daily Beast? www.thedailybeast.com/how-a-toilet-that-...rce=articles&via=rss The article doesn't mention price and doesn't mention how often one might need to remove the pouch of vaporized material (it says 5% of the excrement remains after vaporizing 95%). Sounds t […]
- Encouraging Progress on Sanitation in Korea and Malaysia - by: F H Mughal March 24, 2018Encouraging Progress on Sanitation in Korea and Malaysia A blog of the Asian Development Bank Institute ( www.asiapathways-adbi.org/2018/01/what-c...ts-economic-impacts/ ) gives tips on how Korea and Malaysia improved their sanitation. Korea "In Korea, policies were developed and implemented effectively. For example, the Sewerage Law (1966) was introduc […]
- Donate to end open defecation in deprived communities - by: F H Mughal March 24, 2018