New Delhi promised to build hundreds of public toilets for the 2010 Commonwealth Games. Only 9 were built, and none of them are functioning. This short report from Al Jazeera’s Sohail Rahman highlights the fact that over 50 per cent of Indians have no access to clean toilets. It focuses on the lack of facilities in India’s growing cities and in schools. The report features rural development minister Jairam Ramesh, the inevitable Bindeshwar Pathak of Sulabh International and UNICEF India’s Suzanne Coates.
How many times do you visit Sanitation Updates per month?
- Developing Markets for Sanitation: A Blog Series - by: campbelldb May 26, 2017iDE posted an interesting blog series yesterday on Sanitation Updates . Developing Markets for Sanitation: A Blog Series In response to the growing prevalence of market-based approaches to sanitation, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation convened a meeting between three leading sanitation development practitioners—iDE, PSI, and Water for People—to discuss […]
- *NEW* MHM briefs available from PMA2020: India (Rajasthan), Indonesia, Ghana and Kenya - by: aks0813 May 26, 2017Dear Colleagues, PMA2020 has a series of new briefs available on MHM from 2017, featuring data from state-level (Rajasthan) and national (Indonesia, Ghana and Kenya) surveys of women ages 15 - 49. These briefs offer a one-page snapshot of how menstrual hygiene is managed; the main environments where MHM is practiced; and the safety, privacy, and cleanliness […]
- Public cassete dry toilet in Kiev - by: BPopov May 25, 2017Hi Dean! No, this is no-flush direct drop system. We will try with worms and see how it works. I haven't try to use the worms before but I know that others succesufully used them in the dry toilets. Directing hand-washing grey water might be a good idea if we will need to do so in terms of flushing the urine our of crates a bit . However I'd keep t […]
- Recent WASH research - by: campbelldb May 25, 2017Dear Colleagues: Each week we post a bibliography of recent WASH related research. Below are titles of this week's and links to the full text or abstracts are on Sanitation Updates . OPEN ACCESS - The science behind One Health: at the interface of humans, animals, and the environment. Annals NY Academy of Sciences, May 15, 2017. - The threat of antimicr […]
- How do you get households to connect to existing sewer networks? - by: issantos May 25, 2017Dear Meleesa, Connections are called regular when the following four conditions are identified, according to Brazil's national and local legislation: 1 - Sewage effluents are being layed in public sewage system; 2 - Rainwater is not been layed in public sewage system; 3 - Household is not using a septic tank; 4 - Household has a grease tank (trap) accor […]
- Developing Markets for Sanitation: A Blog Series - by: campbelldb May 26, 2017