New Delhi promised to build hundreds of public toilets for the 2010 Commonwealth Games. Only 9 were built, and none of them are functioning. This short report from Al Jazeera’s Sohail Rahman highlights the fact that over 50 per cent of Indians have no access to clean toilets. It focuses on the lack of facilities in India’s growing cities and in schools. The report features rural development minister Jairam Ramesh, the inevitable Bindeshwar Pathak of Sulabh International and UNICEF India’s Suzanne Coates.
- Re: Vermi-Trickling Filters for Sewage Treatment (looking for help to design) - by: Benno March 18, 2018Kris ... I meant what is your experience with BSFLs, not WASH.
- Re: Vermi-Trickling Filters for Sewage Treatment (looking for help to design) - by: Benno March 18, 2018Hi Kris …BSF larva will work great and are voracious feeders, although, IMO, there is a bit of a yuk factor to them them that can take some getting used to, which is probably why they changed their name to BSFLs instead of maggots. I guess probably no different than the yuk factor of composting humanure, which we seem to have now come to love. As Dean mentio […]
- Vermi-Trickling Filters (or vermifilters) for Sewage Treatment (looking for help to design) - by: Benno March 18, 2018HI Bogdan … We have traditionally used the Separett Privy Seat for diverting. It is easy to set up, and except for the rare occasion, it is welcoming of all anatomies. They even supply a child’s seat. www.separett.com/products/accessories/privy-501/ . They makes a foam seat version for cold climates - Model 500. Separett also manufactures a series of UD comm […]
- Ecological Public Toilets for India? Is it possible? - by: ecoloo March 18, 2018Hello Kevin, We'd be happy to help you with your project. We installed our sustainable toilets at UNESCO World Heritage Sites namely Dibbeen Forest Reserve, Wadi Rum Reserve and Petra Archaeological Park (PAP) in Jordan purchased by UNDP. Some are at very high altitude (600 and 1200 steps above the ground). ECOLOO is a dry toilet technology but water ca […]
- New open-access paper: ’Innovative sanitation approaches could address multiple development challenges’ - by: cecile March 18, 2018Dear Kim, This article provides very good food for thought. I would like to formulate a couple of comments and ideas that came to my mind while reading it: - The need of a shift of paradigm to a circular economy while addressing sanitation challenges has been highlighted by the promoters of ecological sanitation (closed loop productive sanitation) and Bellag […]
- Re: Vermi-Trickling Filters for Sewage Treatment (looking for help to design) - by: Benno March 18, 2018