New Delhi promised to build hundreds of public toilets for the 2010 Commonwealth Games. Only 9 were built, and none of them are functioning. This short report from Al Jazeera’s Sohail Rahman highlights the fact that over 50 per cent of Indians have no access to clean toilets. It focuses on the lack of facilities in India’s growing cities and in schools. The report features rural development minister Jairam Ramesh, the inevitable Bindeshwar Pathak of Sulabh International and UNICEF India’s Suzanne Coates.
- Re: New strategy stops pollution and saves the plant nutrients for future recovery (new Smart Toilet from Sweden, a new type of composting toilet) - by: clint May 25, 2016Dear Hajo, It is nice to meet and communicate with someone concerning solutions for "Developing,Third-World-Poor" countries. I became involved with Clivus because I was impressed with a box that could make "stuff" disappear as Carl claims. This was back in the 70's "Hippie, Mother Earth News Generation". After selling, inst […]
- Brainstorming the Kampala WASH Symposium - by: annetempel May 25, 2016Dear all, Only four weeks to go to the Kampala WASH Symposium. The preparations are in full swing - and you can get involved! You are invited to share and discuss your thoughts and expectations. It will help the organising committee to address your questions and include your ideas in the best possible way. -What are your expectations and hopes to come out of […]
- Re: Crib/zeolite public dry toilet near Kiev (Ukraine) report - by: BPopov May 25, 2016Please, note how the ventilation upper wall profile looks from the inside. The gaps are around 20 mm
- Re: Crib/zeolite public dry toilet near Kiev (Ukraine) report - by: BPopov May 25, 2016Hello everyone! The inauguration of the toilet went well. Now it is in full operation. The pictures of the finished toilet included. The earth ramp still needs to be planted with grass.
- Re: Any successful experience with siphon system? - by: vitek May 25, 2016Dear Kevin, it's true that the flexible part is the main problem to solve. We do it now from EPDM liner which we use for CW lining. It's quite durable, but it's not the best solution because it must be glued to the form of a hose. Flout from rissy plastic has also EPDM hose but it looks similar to the hoses on the siphon. But I can't find […]
- Re: New strategy stops pollution and saves the plant nutrients for future recovery (new Smart Toilet from Sweden, a new type of composting toilet) - by: clint May 25, 2016
- A dirty secret April 8, 2016Almost two-and-a-half billion people lack access to an adequate toilet, and around one billion hapetra
- Sanitation for all: Scaling up is hard to do March 31, 2016On World Water Day 2016, Jan Willem Rosenboom reflects on the challenges and opportunities for mepetra
- A Time for Global Action: Addressing Girls’ Menstrual Hygiene Management Needs in Schools March 16, 2016A lack of adequate guidance, facilities, and materials for girls to manage their menstruation in school is a neglected public health, social, and educational issue that requires prioritization, coordination, and investment.petra
- Webinar on the Partial Usage of Toilets- POSTPONED March 14, 2016This webinar is based on Norms, Knowledge and Usage the 7th edition of Frontiers of CLTS: Innovations and Insights. The webinar will question how serious the problem of partial usage of toilets is, why it occurs and what are the implications for policy, practice and research.petra
- Bad blood: the taboo on talking about periods is damaging lives March 3, 2016We have 5,000 euphemisms for menstruation, but we still can’t talk about it openly – and stop the stigma that’s harming women’s health and educationpetra
- A dirty secret April 8, 2016
Add to favourites