New Delhi promised to build hundreds of public toilets for the 2010 Commonwealth Games. Only 9 were built, and none of them are functioning. This short report from Al Jazeera’s Sohail Rahman highlights the fact that over 50 per cent of Indians have no access to clean toilets. It focuses on the lack of facilities in India’s growing cities and in schools. The report features rural development minister Jairam Ramesh, the inevitable Bindeshwar Pathak of Sulabh International and UNICEF India’s Suzanne Coates.
- Re: Ubuntu-SAN: Point-of-use dry sanitation and sludge beneficiation micro-entrepreneurship model - by: muench May 6, 2015For those of you who have followed this thread and are interested in this research in South Africa about using concentrated solar power for sludge drying (mobile solar pyrolysis): Wade Edwards (who posted just above me) made a presentation about his project in Hanoi, see here: UbuntuSAN: A micro-entrepreneurship model for point-of-use dry sanitation and slud […]
- Re: What is the difference between soil and compost? Results from a twitter conversation with Joe and Susi - by: SusannahSoilet May 6, 2015Hi everybody, Will post here, at Elizabeths request, an email from earlier in this conversation: Dear Elisabeth, Thank you. As an organic livestock farmer (semi retired), currently studying soil biology, microbiomes, ecology and immunology I'd be happy to offer some views 'from the other end' as it were. I can't think of many livestock pr […]
- Re: New logo for the SuSanA discussion forum? - by: dorothee.spuhler May 6, 2015Me too, I could live with the existing logo but agree that a similar look to the SuSanA logo would be beneficial: I prefer 3b.
- Re: Reply: Drawbacks of container based systems in India - by: muench May 6, 2015Dear Alisa, Could you please tell us more about your work (current and planned)? I am curious. Dear Shray, About the container based systems (also abbreviated as CBS), I would like to point you all to this page which is about a workshop held in Hanoi earlier this year on this topic: www.susana.org/en/resources/conference-m...2/2015/262-fsm3-ws-2 Actually the […]
- Re: 28 May is MH Day - Let's end the hesitation around menstruation - by: nicolag May 6, 2015Hi All Thank you for highlighting this. I would like to take the opportunity to invite you to our event for Menstrual Hygiene Day in Bristol - in fact, if you are already interested in this topic, we are also looking to extend our list of panelists for the event. The primary issues for debate are: - menstrual waste. A mountain in the making? -homelessness, p […]
- Re: Ubuntu-SAN: Point-of-use dry sanitation and sludge beneficiation micro-entrepreneurship model - by: muench May 6, 2015
- State steps up sanitation drive May 5, 2015The Zambian Government is committed to ensuring that all chiefdoms in Zambia attain open defecati6
- Women Leaders target need for sanitation and hygiene April 30, 2015Over 50 female leaders from around the world recently published a declaration calling for the end6
- Ebola response: CLTS running strong in rural Liberia April 28, 2015This week in Bong County, the National Technical Coordinating Unit (NTCU) – responsible for setting Liberia’s national WASH guidelines – verified 29 new communities as Open Defecation Free (ODF). “What was originally just a short-term basic hygiene promotion has become another successful Community Led Total Sanitation (CLTS) project,” said Global Communities […]6
- Chienge districts celebrates ODF success April 27, 2015Chienge's achievement as Zambia’s first Open Defecation Free (ODF) district should inspire other regions in the country for similar success, Deputy Minister of Local Government and Housing Danny Chingimbu said at the district’s celebration of attainment of ODF status.6
- Liberian ODF communities did not experience transmission of the Ebola virus April 16, 2015Mr. deVries, Chief of Party of Global COmmunities described the fight against the virus and the Community Led Total Sanitation program as an incredible and challenging experience.He said with all of these challenges faced by his entity during his tenure, tremendous progress was made in the fight against the Ebola virus, especially in safe burial and the Comm […]6
- State steps up sanitation drive May 5, 2015
Add to favourites