New Delhi promised to build hundreds of public toilets for the 2010 Commonwealth Games. Only 9 were built, and none of them are functioning. This short report from Al Jazeera’s Sohail Rahman highlights the fact that over 50 per cent of Indians have no access to clean toilets. It focuses on the lack of facilities in India’s growing cities and in schools. The report features rural development minister Jairam Ramesh, the inevitable Bindeshwar Pathak of Sulabh International and UNICEF India’s Suzanne Coates.
How many times do you visit Sanitation Updates per month?
- Essentials of Menstrual Hygiene Management - by: F H Mughal April 30, 2017Essentials of Menstrual Hygiene Management A recent paper by Libbet C. Loughnan, et al., advisor to the World Bank, titled: What can existing data on water and sanitation tell us about menstrual hygiene management, available at www.developmentbookshelf.com/doi/pdf/10.3362/1756-3488.2016.019 gives useful essentials of menstrual hygiene management (MHM). The a […]
- Open access - by: F H Mughal April 30, 2017Open access [/b] Quite often, I come across with articles that carry the label of open access. By default, I always consider this as a free access article. At times, I’m mistaken. A interesting blog by Marianne Renkema, who works in the library of Wageningen University, as team leader of the group Education Support appeared recently ( weblog.wur.eu/openscien […]
- Re: Sanitation Product Development for Sub-Saharan Africa - affordable, aspirational latrine products, SaTo (American Standard Brands, USA and Water for People) - by: aashenafia April 30, 2017Thanks for the information Jim. I appreciate that. Ashenafi
- Forum will be offline for maintenance and upgrading this Thursday 27 May for 24 hours! - by: JKMakowka April 29, 2017Great that RSS is working nicely now! Would it be possible to enable SSL (https://) encryption? Otherwise passwords etc. are transmitted insecure (Firefox is complaining) and in general it is good practice to have it as the default option. See letsencrypt.org/ for an easy way of getting the needed certificate. Edit: in the mobile view the menu is sorted with […]
- India Sanitation Conclave, 27-28 April, New Delhi - by: nityajacob April 29, 2017Dear all, The Facebook page of the Conclave is available here for updates. While the secretariat compiles the proceedings, please visit this for a quick overview of how it went and the awardees. An edited video feed is available here . This encapsulates the event. Regards Nitya
- Essentials of Menstrual Hygiene Management - by: F H Mughal April 30, 2017