New Delhi promised to build hundreds of public toilets for the 2010 Commonwealth Games. Only 9 were built, and none of them are functioning. This short report from Al Jazeera’s Sohail Rahman highlights the fact that over 50 per cent of Indians have no access to clean toilets. It focuses on the lack of facilities in India’s growing cities and in schools. The report features rural development minister Jairam Ramesh, the inevitable Bindeshwar Pathak of Sulabh International and UNICEF India’s Suzanne Coates.
- Decentralized sanitation a way to go for Ukraine? - by: Decentral January 21, 2018Dear Bogdan, you have initiated a very interesting discussion and I would like to thank you. Regarding the size of the plots you have mentioned - it looks that on-site individual solutions will be more economically viable, compared to a centralized sewer, which collects settled wastewater after the septic tanks, because of the length of pipes which will be r […]
- Decentralized sanitation a way to go for Ukraine? - by: BPopov January 21, 2018Hi Dean! Most of Ukriane can expect 8 month above zero temperatures. Theoretically during this period surface discharge is possible and it can be extended for at least two more month if discharge would go under some insulating mulch layer further enhanced by snow layer on top. The infiltration would depend on soil type (sand or clay), how saturated it is fro […]
- What is the secret to SuSanA's success? - by: cecile January 21, 2018Dear all, I am personnally very satisfied with the level of participation of practitioners in the sense that my questions are usually answered by practioners very quickly and in a very professional way. If I remember well, one of the last questions I posted got 5 answers, from the usual very active persons but also from other or "new" members and I […]
- Power of Dog’s Poop - by: F H Mughal January 21, 2018Dear Ms. Cecile, Thank you for your post. The 2 innovations mentioned by you are interesting. You are right - they do not go to scale, and your reasons make sense. Can you point out more such "cute" innovations, please? Kind regards, F H Mughal
- Power of Dog’s Poop - by: cecile January 21, 2018Dear Mughal, Thank you for highlighting this article. Once in a while I also come across interesting innovations as the street lamps powered by dog's poop that you pointed out. For example, there is the uritrottoir in France, which combines a waterless urinal and flower beds in public areas : And the urinals in recycling bins in Portland: However I neve […]
- Decentralized sanitation a way to go for Ukraine? - by: Decentral January 21, 2018