New Delhi promised to build hundreds of public toilets for the 2010 Commonwealth Games. Only 9 were built, and none of them are functioning. This short report from Al Jazeera’s Sohail Rahman highlights the fact that over 50 per cent of Indians have no access to clean toilets. It focuses on the lack of facilities in India’s growing cities and in schools. The report features rural development minister Jairam Ramesh, the inevitable Bindeshwar Pathak of Sulabh International and UNICEF India’s Suzanne Coates.
- Looking for implementing partners and funds to trial 'Poop-chart' to increase take-up of water purification tablets - by: akibkhan January 22, 2018Dear all, Ali (Akram) from Pakistan and I are looking for research funds to team up with NGOs that work in WASH and are eager to partner w/ researchers to trial new and innovative solutions. Would really appreciate any leads! Context: We are looking to test Ali's Info-tool (aka 'poop chart') in a new context. Put very crudely, Info-tool enable […]
- Re: Key documents for the sub-category on nutrition and WASH - by: Jona January 22, 2018Dear Mr. Mughal, I'm always looking for WASH-Nutrition publications But currently, we are revisiting the 5 so-called "best readings" to allow people to easily enter this subject by giving recommendations what to read first to get a good overview in the respective sub-categories. Every now and then, those best readings need to be updated. In ou […]
- Methane Gas Explosion at Kansas City Wastewater Treatment Plant - by: nyamokopeter January 22, 2018Hi, F H Mughal, For such a respected platform its not appropriate to stereotype and demean people by claiming everyone in developing country has low knowledge and careless. That is a baseless assumption . Lets maintain the professionalism of this site
- Power of Dog’s Poop - by: F H Mughal January 22, 2018Dear Ms. Cecile, I had a look at both the websites, you mentioned. They look interesting, but as you said, they are in French. I wish I could read French!! It is a bit surprising that in Egypt, you have workshop on climate innovations. Seems like Egypt is catching up on climate change scene. I can understand the gaps, you refer to. Your posts are interesting […]
- Power of Dog’s Poop - by: cecile January 22, 2018Dear M. Mughal, The French company ecosec ( www.ecosec.fr ) has designed and developped several innovations of this type, some of them requiring subtantial R&D and capital investment such as public toilets producing struvite or reusing urine to fertilise vegetated walls and others which are really simple (such as adapting a urinal to the rain collection […]
- Looking for implementing partners and funds to trial 'Poop-chart' to increase take-up of water purification tablets - by: akibkhan January 22, 2018