New Delhi promised to build hundreds of public toilets for the 2010 Commonwealth Games. Only 9 were built, and none of them are functioning. This short report from Al Jazeera’s Sohail Rahman highlights the fact that over 50 per cent of Indians have no access to clean toilets. It focuses on the lack of facilities in India’s growing cities and in schools. The report features rural development minister Jairam Ramesh, the inevitable Bindeshwar Pathak of Sulabh International and UNICEF India’s Suzanne Coates.
- Low cost secondary treatment of household wastewater using vermifiltration - by: JKMakowka March 19, 2018Looks interesting. But where do the worms come into play and is there still sufficient food for them after the primary vermifilter and the settling tanks? It seems to me that it might work just as well without them?
- The sanitation and urban agriculture nexus: urine collection and application as fertilizer in São Paulo, Brazil - by: marianacchrispim March 19, 2018Dear Elisabeth, Thank you very much for your feedback about my post. I agree that there are some challenges such as the urine storage, transport and reuse. In this case (mentioned in the paper) we evaluated the urine collection from one waterless urinal which was installed in the context of a university campus, but there was not the urine storage. However in […]
- Low cost secondary treatment of household wastewater using vermifiltration - by: goeco March 18, 2018This system uses a vermidigester for primary treatment (removal & digestion of solids), then secondary treatment using vermifilters as described here. The system accepts all household waterwater including toilet, kitchen and bathroom. Treated wastewater is discharged to soil surface using dripper lines. Not including labour the cost for the secondary sys […]
- Re: Vermi-Trickling Filters for Sewage Treatment (looking for help to design) - by: Benno March 18, 2018Kris ... I meant what is your experience with BSFLs, not WASH.
- Re: Vermi-Trickling Filters for Sewage Treatment (looking for help to design) - by: Benno March 18, 2018Hi Kris …BSF larva will work great and are voracious feeders, although, IMO, there is a bit of a yuk factor to them them that can take some getting used to, which is probably why they changed their name to BSFLs instead of maggots. I guess probably no different than the yuk factor of composting humanure, which we seem to have now come to love. As Dean mentio […]
- Low cost secondary treatment of household wastewater using vermifiltration - by: JKMakowka March 19, 2018