New Delhi promised to build hundreds of public toilets for the 2010 Commonwealth Games. Only 9 were built, and none of them are functioning. This short report from Al Jazeera’s Sohail Rahman highlights the fact that over 50 per cent of Indians have no access to clean toilets. It focuses on the lack of facilities in India’s growing cities and in schools. The report features rural development minister Jairam Ramesh, the inevitable Bindeshwar Pathak of Sulabh International and UNICEF India’s Suzanne Coates.
- Solution for Public Urination - by: F H Mughal May 26, 2018Solution for Public Urination Public urination is quite a problem in many cities. These areas give out nauseating ammonia-tinged stench. This problem is almost worldwide. Dr. Natalie Essig, professor at Munich’s University of Applied Science, has developed a solution of pee beds. The pee bed prototypes would look like long, unplanted strips of flower bed. Wh […]
- ANSI Calls on Expert Stakeholders to Participate in ISO Project Committee 318 on Community-Scale Resource-Oriented Sanitation Systems - by: Carol McCreary May 26, 2018Kimberly and Elisabeth, So far we're doing a terrible job of helping residents of US cities - including the unhoused - meet essential physiological needs with dignity. Public toilets are a hot topic. Most officials don't focus on user essentials, however. They worry more about protecting the toilet facility itself, usually by locking it up after bu […]
- Re: Strategic Plans for Public Toilet Management in Australia - by: RaHaSolutions May 26, 2018Dear Kevin, We have found it through google. Going by the two documents attached by Sujatha, Australia is succeeding in this (public toilet) mainly because their design, siting, construction and management of the toilets are all based on the principles of Crime Prevention through Environmental Design (CPTED). They accept CPTED in the design and criminology f […]
- Urine-ponics for urban agriculture - by: arno May 25, 2018Hello Francisco. It's good to hear from you after so many years. Are you still with SARAR? www.sarar-t.org/index.html I remember your work to store urine in soil producing the fermented product that you are using in the "urine-ponics". Please share with us more technical details. Reports even in Spanish will be good. Best wishes --Arno […]
- Are public toilets inclusive of transgender and intersex people? - by: Carol McCreary May 25, 2018Hi Elisabeth, Starting with the section "Design" the Wikipedia article "Unisex public toilet" looks good. The section on Portland seems accurate. The ordinance was passed in December 2015 and conversion of 600 city-owned direct-entry single toilet stalls in city parks started immediately. This interview with Anna Preble has photos of the […]
- Solution for Public Urination - by: F H Mughal May 26, 2018