New Delhi promised to build hundreds of public toilets for the 2010 Commonwealth Games. Only 9 were built, and none of them are functioning. This short report from Al Jazeera’s Sohail Rahman highlights the fact that over 50 per cent of Indians have no access to clean toilets. It focuses on the lack of facilities in India’s growing cities and in schools. The report features rural development minister Jairam Ramesh, the inevitable Bindeshwar Pathak of Sulabh International and UNICEF India’s Suzanne Coates.
- USAID Transftrom WASH Program - by: jtinsley December 14, 2017We will be very interested to follow the progress of this program - thanks for sharing the program brief! I would be interested to learn what financing models you plan to promote for BOP access to WASH products and services?
- USAID/WASHPaLs Webinar – Contribution of Community-Led Total Sanitation to Ending Open Defecation: Findings of a Desk Review - by: campbelldb December 14, 2017Webinar - Contribution of Community-Led Total Sanitation to Ending Open Defecation: Findings of a Desk Review, December 2017. - Link to webinar On Wednesday, December 13, 2017, the USAID-funded Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Partnerships and Learning for Sustainability (WASHPaLS) Project held a webinar on the role of community-led total sanitation (CLTS) in […]
- Sex-Segregated Toilets - by: F H Mughal December 14, 2017Dear Ms. Connie, Thank you for your very informative post. You rightly say: ".....This option is not recommended, however, in contexts and places where it may increase the risk of violence against women or transgender people, or where it is deemed culturally inappropriate." While WaterAid is active in Pakistan, do you have information/experience of […]
- Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) in Schools - by: F H Mughal December 14, 2017Dear Gerald, You wrote: "I am interested in designing and implementing sustainable WASH projects for primary and secondary schools in Cameroon and other countries in Sub-Saharan Africa ." If possible, please share your work on this forum. I would love to see your design of WASH projects in schools in Cameroon and other countries. Regards, F H Mugha […]
- Live Q&A session on the SFDs on Monday, 4 Dec 2017, 14:00 CET - by: ValerieB December 14, 2017Dear All, The Question & Answer session from December 4th 2017 (2 PM) can be reviewed on the SFD website: sfd.susana.org/resources/videos-sfd#mbGyi5MVQzc Besides the Q&A part, the content of the session includes three presentations: 1. Presentation: The SFD Manual: a guide to content and process, Rebecca Scott, WEDC 2. Presentation: The SFD Review Pr […]
- USAID Transftrom WASH Program - by: jtinsley December 14, 2017