New Delhi promised to build hundreds of public toilets for the 2010 Commonwealth Games. Only 9 were built, and none of them are functioning. This short report from Al Jazeera’s Sohail Rahman highlights the fact that over 50 per cent of Indians have no access to clean toilets. It focuses on the lack of facilities in India’s growing cities and in schools. The report features rural development minister Jairam Ramesh, the inevitable Bindeshwar Pathak of Sulabh International and UNICEF India’s Suzanne Coates.
- Evapotranspiration Toilet with a difference from India - by: nityajacob November 18, 2017Dear all, On the occasion of World Toilet Day, I am sharing a variant on the leach pit toilet, The Evapotranspiration Toilet (EVT). Marta Vanduzer-Snow and Pawan Singh have developed and installed this in rural Uttar Pradesh. They have tested and used it for over three years. I thank them for sharing their model and experience. The Evapotranspiration Toilet […]
- Seattle Homeless toilets - by: markllo November 17, 2017This was posted this week about some work I have been doing in honor of World Toilet Day: www.realchangenews.org/2017/11/15/one-ma...ple-just-drop-bucket
- Where there are no sewers: The toilet cleaners of Lucknow, India - by: sharadaprasad November 17, 2017A photo-essay by CS Sharada Prasad and Isha Ray November 19 is World Toilet Day. Enormous progress has been made in the global effort to provide safe and affordable toilets for the world’s poorest citizens since World Toilet Day was first declared in 2001. Significant strides have been made in “reinventing” toilet designs for low-income, water-short, unsewer […]
- French start-up WéCo launches commercialisation of ecological flush toilets with waste-water-treatment in a closed circuit - by: jorg November 17, 2017WeCo, the French start-up that invents ecological flush toilets in a closed circuit In 2015, a French couple who lived in Asia and their German friend started an ambitious project to revolutionize the current operation of toilets, which consists of wasting liters of water several times a day. They also want to change the perception of toilets by restoring th […]
- Recent research on menstrual cups needed - by: LinneaCC November 17, 2017It is very important to update the section on TSS, based on the findings from the first recorded case of TSS associated with menstrual cup use. The authors conclude that previous claims that menstrual cups are 'TSS safe' do not hold true and that the menstrual cup does, in fact "appear to provide a necessary milieu for S aureus growth during m […]
- Evapotranspiration Toilet with a difference from India - by: nityajacob November 18, 2017