New Delhi promised to build hundreds of public toilets for the 2010 Commonwealth Games. Only 9 were built, and none of them are functioning. This short report from Al Jazeera’s Sohail Rahman highlights the fact that over 50 per cent of Indians have no access to clean toilets. It focuses on the lack of facilities in India’s growing cities and in schools. The report features rural development minister Jairam Ramesh, the inevitable Bindeshwar Pathak of Sulabh International and UNICEF India’s Suzanne Coates.
- Rural Sanitation Governance in India - any relevant studies or cases? - by: magdalenabauer December 11, 2017Dear all, I am writing a thesis on rural sanitation in India with a focus on the governance, in special the state capacity the state bodies have in sanitation. I am interested in the role of the state and its capabilities towards sanitation in the rural areas in India. I am coming form a perspective of political science, where in the research on governance, […]
- Wikipedia page on FSM - by: isabelblackett December 11, 2017Thanks to Dave and Elisabeth for getting a faecal sludge management page up and running on Wikipedia. See here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fecal_sludge_management I've recently done some editing and updating of the page, but am unable to complete it. Please get involved and join the editing effort. At present Dave and I may have infused a slightly South-East […]
- Train Toilets - by: F H Mughal December 10, 2017Train Toilets Toilets in trains in Pakistan are always smelly. Perhaps that is the case as well in Indian trains. According to the blog of Lekshmi Priya ( www.thebetterindia.com/123842/tired-of-s...ets-that-wont-stink/ “toilets in railway coaches will no longer be stinky or blocked, for Indian Railways intends to roll out 100 coaches with imported bio-vacuum […]
- Call for papers for 7th IWA Conference on Resources Oriented Sanitation - by: Langergraber December 10, 2017The call for papers for the 7th IWA Specialized Conference on Resources Oriented Sanitation conference has been launched. The 7th IWA Conference on Resources Oriented Sanitation will be held together with the 15th IWA Specialized Conference on Small Water and Wastewater Systems from October 14-18, 2018 in Haifa, Israel. Deadline for submitting 2-page abstrac […]
- Reply: Roediger NoMix toilets - good or bad? And SANIRESCH final report (urine diversion project with UD flush toilets and treatment reactors in Eschborn, Germany) - by: prince December 10, 2017I support this urine+water to recycle abandoned farms because of land infertility. Hope this research will help more farmers in Uganda and Kenya if we replicate it here. Thanks Prince Maloba
- Rural Sanitation Governance in India - any relevant studies or cases? - by: magdalenabauer December 11, 2017