New Delhi promised to build hundreds of public toilets for the 2010 Commonwealth Games. Only 9 were built, and none of them are functioning. This short report from Al Jazeera’s Sohail Rahman highlights the fact that over 50 per cent of Indians have no access to clean toilets. It focuses on the lack of facilities in India’s growing cities and in schools. The report features rural development minister Jairam Ramesh, the inevitable Bindeshwar Pathak of Sulabh International and UNICEF India’s Suzanne Coates.
- Permaculture is the Medicine? Oregon State University Ecampus: Learn Introduction Permaculture Design Online for Free, Apr 23 - May 22, 2018 - by: AquaVerde April 23, 2018Permaculture Design Online Course starts today: In this introductory video into Oregon State University's Free Permaculture Course ( open.oregonstate.edu/courses/p ...), Andrew Millison introduces himself and gives a general overview of course intentions and material. Regards, Detlef
- Condominial Sewerage in Brazil - by: F H Mughal April 23, 2018Almost as a sort of companion publication is the report by the United Nations Centre for Human Settlements (Habitat), Nairobi 1986, with the caption of The Design of Shallow Sewer Systems. The publication is attached. According to the publication: Shallow sewers are designed to accept all household wastewaters - excreta, toilet flushwater, and sullage — in t […]
- Condominial Sewerage in Brazil - by: F H Mughal April 23, 2018Talking of David Duncan Mara, attached is a publication of simplified sewerage. According to the publication, the key features of the system are as follows: In order to reduce costs, simplified sewerage is developed as an in-block system, rather than – as with conventional sewerage – an in-road system. The key feature of an in-block system is that sewers are […]
- Faecal sludge field monitoring and emergency sanitation treatment kits - by: JKMakowka April 23, 2018The complete lab is ready and I believe it should be available for purchase via Butyl Products soon. I met with Johannes Bousek from Austrian Red Cross/Boku two weeks ago on the Emergency Environmental Health Forum and can confirm that the Helminith test and all related tools are included in it and should be relatively easy to use (the training I was suppose […]
- USAID/WASHPaLs Webinar – Contribution of Community-Led Total Sanitation to Ending Open Defecation: Findings of a Desk Review - by: secretariat April 23, 2018Dear all, The publication of Toward a Hygienic Environment for Infants and Young Children: A Review of the Literature is also now available in the SuSanA library. To download, please go to this link . Also thank you Dan for sharing us the publication. Regards, Ainul on behalf of the SuSanA secretariat
- Permaculture is the Medicine? Oregon State University Ecampus: Learn Introduction Permaculture Design Online for Free, Apr 23 - May 22, 2018 - by: AquaVerde April 23, 2018