New Delhi promised to build hundreds of public toilets for the 2010 Commonwealth Games. Only 9 were built, and none of them are functioning. This short report from Al Jazeera’s Sohail Rahman highlights the fact that over 50 per cent of Indians have no access to clean toilets. It focuses on the lack of facilities in India’s growing cities and in schools. The report features rural development minister Jairam Ramesh, the inevitable Bindeshwar Pathak of Sulabh International and UNICEF India’s Suzanne Coates.
- Condominial Sewerage in Brazil - by: kevintayler April 25, 2018The situation with regard to low-cost sewerage in Pakistan is rather more complicated than suggested. First, I think it is important to recognize that the Orangi Pilot Project built on what people were already doing. Their big contributions were to advocate for appropriate building methods and to develop a methodology for people for people to work together. […]
- Thematic Discussion Series: Innovations in WASH, SuSanA India Chapter - by: Marijn Zandee April 25, 2018Dear all, I know I have posted a lot of what I am about to write earlier, but I think it can contribute so I will repeat myself. It seems that the discussion is predominantly about the very complicated problem of the lack of toilet ownership and use in India; the sanitation component of WASH. When we look potential private sector involvement in the sanitatio […]
- ANSI Calls on Expert Stakeholders to Participate in ISO Project Committee 318 on Community-Scale Resource-Oriented Sanitation Systems - by: kimgerly April 24, 2018Are EXPLODING homeless encampments in cities/urban locales throughout the USA being included as part of the stakeholders' audience? I enquire, because these homeless/housing challenged folks ALSO require access to a more holistic, resilient sanitation opportunity i.e. thermophilic composting of humanure. Unfortunately, these citizens lack dignified, and […]
- How to get rid of flies in dual chamber UDDT? - by: EcoSwell April 24, 2018Hi all, I'm an intern working on a new dual chamber, UDDT in northern Peru. We have been using the dry toilet for about one month now. There don't seem to be any bad smells, and we all use a few scoops of dry material with each use, but there are always a lot of flies in the chamber that escape when the seat is opened. Any tips on how to mitigate t […]
- Excreta disinfection - by: F H Mughal April 24, 2018Excreta disinfection A recent post of Global Water Pathogen Project, available at: mailchi.mp/abb1fc3b6c9d/april-11-2018-gw...sletter?e=10a5fc3af3 recommends disinfection of excreta in emergencies. The concept is well-taken, especially since this deals with emergency. However, in certain areas, even the drinking water is not disinfected. In the rural areas o […]
- Condominial Sewerage in Brazil - by: kevintayler April 25, 2018