New Delhi promised to build hundreds of public toilets for the 2010 Commonwealth Games. Only 9 were built, and none of them are functioning. This short report from Al Jazeera’s Sohail Rahman highlights the fact that over 50 per cent of Indians have no access to clean toilets. It focuses on the lack of facilities in India’s growing cities and in schools. The report features rural development minister Jairam Ramesh, the inevitable Bindeshwar Pathak of Sulabh International and UNICEF India’s Suzanne Coates.
What type of content is most useful for you?
- When you hear the term "dry toilet" or "dry sanitation": does that include a pit latrine in your mind or not? - by: bowenarrow October 18, 2017To me as a manufacturer of "Waterless or Composting Toilets" I could not describe a pit toilet as a dry toilet. Any sanitation that allows urine and solids to mix along with any other material deposited can hardly be "dry". These titles are not specific and nor should they be when considering that the application of non - flushing toilets […]
- Immersive Research to Strengthen Swachh Bharat Mission (Gramin) - by: Petra October 17, 2017In order to learn from the experiences of districts that had been declared open defecation free, Praxis, the CLTS Knowledge Hub at the Institute of Development Studies and WaterAid recently undertook an immersive research project. The researchers spent three nights and up to four days in each of a total of eight villages in Madhya Pradesh (3), Uttar Pradesh […]
- Timely, relevant and action-orientated research for Swachh Bharat Mission (Gramin) - by: Petra October 17, 2017The momentum and scale of the Swachh Bharat Mission – Gramin (SBM-G) is unprecedented. The speed of implementation means that the identification of gaps and finding answers to these in ways that provide practical ideas for policy and practice can have exceptionally widespread impact provided they can be timely, relevant and actionable. The trade-offs between […]
- Re: WaterAid webinar - What a child needs to learn: lessons on embedding WASH into education - by: dietvorst October 17, 2017Hi Tracey, YouTube has lots of space - that's the easiest place to upload and share a webinar recording. See for instance this IRC webinar recording.
- Learning Paper: Supporting the poorest and most vulnerable in CLTS - by: Petra October 17, 2017The CLTS Knowledge Hub and UNICEF convened an Asia-focused workshop titled ‘Supporting the Poorest and Most Vulnerable in CLTS Programmes’ in the Philippines in May 2017. The event brought together participants with experience of working on directly, supporting or researching CLTS programmes from across the continent. Over the course of five days participant […]
- When you hear the term "dry toilet" or "dry sanitation": does that include a pit latrine in your mind or not? - by: bowenarrow October 18, 2017