New Delhi promised to build hundreds of public toilets for the 2010 Commonwealth Games. Only 9 were built, and none of them are functioning. This short report from Al Jazeera’s Sohail Rahman highlights the fact that over 50 per cent of Indians have no access to clean toilets. It focuses on the lack of facilities in India’s growing cities and in schools. The report features rural development minister Jairam Ramesh, the inevitable Bindeshwar Pathak of Sulabh International and UNICEF India’s Suzanne Coates.
- Two Types of Wastewater Conveyance Systems - by: F H Mughal January 21, 2018I agree. The key to the open drains' success is their daily cleaning in the morning. The sweeper is stationed in the community. This means that, if there is some problem, the sweeper is called who attends to the problem, which is of course, cleaning. There is no problem in the gradients, and the sewage flows freely under gravity. That system in towns co […]
- Online Course for Faecal Sludge Management | free | enrolling now | starting 1 February 2018 - by: chindo January 21, 2018Will there be video clips for this course for better understanding
- Two Types of Wastewater Conveyance Systems - by: JKMakowka January 21, 2018These kind of open drains you can find in many countries, although often they are "upgraded" with concrete covers. However I have rarely seen them being maintained as well as you describe it, and often they are build with insufficient slope to drain properly (i.e. they just follow the road level). Thus they usually quickly become filled with rottin […]
- Decentralized sanitation a way to go for Ukraine? - by: phreymon January 20, 2018Hi Dean, You make me (us) very curious about the potential of vermifilters. I have the following questions: (i) it is just a filter: how does it deal with 100 L wastewater per person per day? And how can the pathogens and nutrients be retained?; (ii) what do you do with the effluent? In my understanding, the pathogen removal is rather low; (iii) I think that […]
- Decentralized sanitation a way to go for Ukraine? - by: BPopov January 20, 2018Thanks Dean! Ukraine is a huge country with highly variable climate and other condtions. High ground water level is very common in many places both for natural and anthropogenic reasons. The water table gets highest level usually in spring after snow melt and in autumn after rains. In some places it drops down a in the middle of the winter , in some places i […]
- Two Types of Wastewater Conveyance Systems - by: F H Mughal January 21, 2018