New Delhi promised to build hundreds of public toilets for the 2010 Commonwealth Games. Only 9 were built, and none of them are functioning. This short report from Al Jazeera’s Sohail Rahman highlights the fact that over 50 per cent of Indians have no access to clean toilets. It focuses on the lack of facilities in India’s growing cities and in schools. The report features rural development minister Jairam Ramesh, the inevitable Bindeshwar Pathak of Sulabh International and UNICEF India’s Suzanne Coates.
What type of content is most useful for you?
- Industrial engineer for waste management - by: koeniga September 22, 2017Do you want to put your know-how and skills to use where they are needed? Do you want to work abroad and experience different cultures? Then the Centre for International Migration and Development (CIM) is your ideal partner for finding a responsible position in the field of development policy. We place highly qualified staff with employers in Asia, Africa, L […]
- Review process for “Compendium of Sanitation Technologies in Emergencies” just started I Become involved! - by: rob# September 22, 2017Hi Marijn, PeePoo bags (or the use of bags in general, without referring to any brand name) will be considered but most likely be included as part of the "container-based toilet" tech-sheet and not as an individual technology sheet. Hope this helps and best regards rob
- Review process for “Compendium of Sanitation Technologies in Emergencies” just started I Become involved! - by: canaday September 22, 2017Hi, Attached are my comments on the chapter on urinals This attachment is hidden for guests.Please log in or register to see it. . Best wishes, Chris
- What can we reliably say about pathogen removal with vermifilters? - by: fppirco September 22, 2017Dear Mr.ciao Hajo Thank you very much for your invaluable information about earthworm, I am very interest about this issue and I have some questions: 1) Is there any difference between wild earthworm which found in garden or commercial worm which may be selected in function ,nutrient requirements and reproduction rate? 2) How could differentiated between ear […]
- What can we reliably say about pathogen removal with vermifilters? - by: goeco September 22, 2017Hi Hajo, I'm not sure exactly what you are asking in your two questions, but I'll try and answer anyway: 1. The point I am making is that a conservatively long resting period provides assurance that ascaris is eliminated from the fecal humus. Two years might be okay, but until published research is available that gives us confidence in that time pe […]
- Industrial engineer for waste management - by: koeniga September 22, 2017