New Delhi promised to build hundreds of public toilets for the 2010 Commonwealth Games. Only 9 were built, and none of them are functioning. This short report from Al Jazeera’s Sohail Rahman highlights the fact that over 50 per cent of Indians have no access to clean toilets. It focuses on the lack of facilities in India’s growing cities and in schools. The report features rural development minister Jairam Ramesh, the inevitable Bindeshwar Pathak of Sulabh International and UNICEF India’s Suzanne Coates.
What type of content is most useful for you?
- Bringing Market Thinking to Humanitarian Response: UK Launch of the Minimum Economic Recover Standards 3rd Edition - by: muench July 21, 2017Hi John and Esther, I am wondering if you could share the presentations from your event in May, or post here how people could find out more about it? I mean this one: Bringing Market Thinking to Humanitarian Response: UK Launch of the Minimum Economic Recover Standards 3rd Edition I guess a follow-up to that launch event is probably the upcoming workshop at […]
- Interested in Container Based Sanitation? Here's what you missed from SanCop... - by: eshaylor July 21, 2017Hello, Are you interested in Container Based Sanitation? Did you miss out on SanCop in April? Were you there and want to get hold of the presentations? Now you can SanCop 19 Follow the link for the presentations and a summary of the day. If you have any questions put them below and I will do my best to get some answers. Regards Esther
- New estimates on safe drinking water, sanitation and hygiene - by: AmyKeegan July 21, 2017We will not be releasing a new report with the data, just uploading it to the WASH map when we have it. TO access the most up to date statistics you can either look at India's country profile - ( washwatch.org/en/countries/india/summary/statistics/ ) or JMP's website ( washdata.org/data#!/ind ) Hopefully these will give some clarity. The countries […]
- New estimates on safe drinking water, sanitation and hygiene - by: F H Mughal July 21, 2017Dear Ms Amy, Thanks for your enlightened response. Since, as you say, you will be releasing the data next month, would it be possible for you to release a simple report, giving the country's data on water and sanitation - easy to read and comprehend? I notice that, in WASH maps, some countries' score is more than 100%. For example, Saudi Arabia has […]
- New estimates on safe drinking water, sanitation and hygiene - by: AmyKeegan July 21, 2017Hi all, Great to see the interest in the new JMP figures, it's an absolute plethora of data and interesting to delve into. A few points to respond to: -Mughal we developed the WASHwatch map ( washwatch.org/en/wash-maps/ ) to encourage the focus not just on access figures but also on progress. Therefore we have made projections for when countries will re […]
- Bringing Market Thinking to Humanitarian Response: UK Launch of the Minimum Economic Recover Standards 3rd Edition - by: muench July 21, 2017