New Delhi promised to build hundreds of public toilets for the 2010 Commonwealth Games. Only 9 were built, and none of them are functioning. This short report from Al Jazeera’s Sohail Rahman highlights the fact that over 50 per cent of Indians have no access to clean toilets. It focuses on the lack of facilities in India’s growing cities and in schools. The report features rural development minister Jairam Ramesh, the inevitable Bindeshwar Pathak of Sulabh International and UNICEF India’s Suzanne Coates.
What type of content is most useful for you?
- Up-scaling Basic Sanitation for the Urban Poor in Kenya (UBSUP) (Water Services Trust Fund and GIZ, Kenya) - by: alexandra85 August 18, 2017Here are some photos to illustrate Charlotte's update. If you want more information about UBSUP and if you are planning to attend the Stockholm World Water Week 2017, please visit the WSTF exhibition booth No. 43 (opp. Congress Hall). We will also have a couple of interesting events: 24th SuSanA meeting: presentation of the UBSUP video, on Saturday 26.0 […]
- Re: Why don't we see much pits made out of car tires ? - by: JKMakowka August 18, 2017Came across this resource on how to build septic tanks with old car tires (tested in Brazil): thehomesteadsurvival.com/sustainable-sep...made-recycled-tires/ No idea if it works well or not though.
- Re-launch of improved SuSanA website just around the corner - putting results from UX (user experience) study into action - by: muench August 17, 2017So, it took a bit longer than planned (like most IT projects) but I am happy to share with you today a sneak preview (or beta version) of the new upgraded SuSanA website. The launch of the upgraded website is just around the corner; we hope to have it done by the SuSanA meeting on 26 August next week Saturday. Meanwhile, if you have a spare 5 minutes, please […]
- Establishing the costs and willingness to pay for emptying and transporting sludge in rural districts with high rates of access to latrines to identify the gap that needs a subsidy - by: muench August 17, 2017Dear Soumya, Thanks for posting your 4 papers here on the forum. I followed the link you gave in this thread and found this information: Data Availability: The following data and information are available at GitHub ( github.com/Barbaraevansuk/Fecal-sludge-e...-and-transport-costs ): The excel-based cost model; Input data on costs used in the cost model; The […]
- Invitation to join HIFA discussion on role of systematic reviews in LMICs - by: muench August 17, 2017Dear Neil, Is it possible to browse through the discussion on the role of systematic reviews in low and middle income countries (LMICs) somewhere on your website (without being a member)? If not, I guess we have to wait for the synthesis report in September (please post it here when it's done). Did the topic of sanitation get any airtime during this dis […]
- Up-scaling Basic Sanitation for the Urban Poor in Kenya (UBSUP) (Water Services Trust Fund and GIZ, Kenya) - by: alexandra85 August 18, 2017