New Delhi promised to build hundreds of public toilets for the 2010 Commonwealth Games. Only 9 were built, and none of them are functioning. This short report from Al Jazeera’s Sohail Rahman highlights the fact that over 50 per cent of Indians have no access to clean toilets. It focuses on the lack of facilities in India’s growing cities and in schools. The report features rural development minister Jairam Ramesh, the inevitable Bindeshwar Pathak of Sulabh International and UNICEF India’s Suzanne Coates.
What type of content is most useful for you?
- New estimates on safe drinking water, sanitation and hygiene - by: F H Mughal July 21, 2017Dear Ms Amy, Thanks for your enlightened response. Since, as you say, you will be releasing the data next month, would it be possible for you to release a simple report, giving the country's data on water and sanitation - easy to read and comprehend? I notice that, in WASH maps, some countries' score is more than 100%. For example, Saudi Arabia has […]
- New estimates on safe drinking water, sanitation and hygiene - by: AmyKeegan July 21, 2017Hi all, Great to see the interest in the new JMP figures, it's an absolute plethora of data and interesting to delve into. A few points to respond to: -Mughal we developed the WASHwatch map ( washwatch.org/en/wash-maps/ ) to encourage the focus not just on access figures but also on progress. Therefore we have made projections for when countries will re […]
- Sanitation Trial in Maputo, Mozambique (MAPSAN) - LSHTM and Georgia Tech - by: muench July 21, 2017I am starting this thread to provide more information about a project called: Sanitation Trial in Maputo, Mozambique (MAPSAN) - Supporting the generation of new knowledge on the health impacts of urban sanitation It is funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. Duration: 17 Nov 2015 to 31 March 2017 (i.e. recently completed) Purpose: to support the g […]
- Review process for “Compendium of Sanitation Technologies in Emergencies” just started I Become involved! - by: swoolley July 21, 2017Hi Rob, I'd be interesting in assisting to review, and would like to know more about the time requirements to assist with the reviewing process. I'll send you a mail. Stuart
- Humanitarian Engineer lecturer job at The University of Sydney Australia - by: Jacquie July 21, 2017Sharing a position opening at the University of Sydney. This Humanitarian engineering lecturer/senior lecturer position can encompass any engineering discipline with application in development and disaster relief. The position is based in the School of Civil Engineering. Water and wastewater engineers would fit well within the current team. Please see the li […]
- New estimates on safe drinking water, sanitation and hygiene - by: F H Mughal July 21, 2017