New Delhi promised to build hundreds of public toilets for the 2010 Commonwealth Games. Only 9 were built, and none of them are functioning. This short report from Al Jazeera’s Sohail Rahman highlights the fact that over 50 per cent of Indians have no access to clean toilets. It focuses on the lack of facilities in India’s growing cities and in schools. The report features rural development minister Jairam Ramesh, the inevitable Bindeshwar Pathak of Sulabh International and UNICEF India’s Suzanne Coates.
How many times do you visit Sanitation Updates per month?
- Re: RE: [Wg4] Working Group 4 meeting at FSM in Chennai - by: muench February 21, 2017Hi Eddy and Eric, The meeting has already taken place (it was on Sunday 19th at 1830 at the the Park Hyatt Hotel) but do make sure you approach Esther and have a chat to her to find out what came out of it and to express your interest. Maybe she will post minutes here in this thread, too. Regards, Elisabeth
- Re: Reuse of Faecal Sludge in Agriculture in Mzuzu, Malawi - by: canaday February 21, 2017Hi Adrian and Ela, Searching for Ascaris and other Helminth eggs is no so high-tech, beyond having access to a microscope, which should presumably be feasible (e.g., at university or a health ministry malaria lab). Under the microscope, Ascaris eggs are quite distinctive and sort of look like beautiful, intricate, golden sculptures, so it is a bit like an Ea […]
- Re: Reuse of Faecal Sludge in Agriculture in Mzuzu, Malawi - by: goeco February 20, 2017In my view the biggest gaps in research are in changes to levels of helminths over time. The 5 year rest period seems to be the magic number but I haven't uncovered any research data to support that. This is a hugely important area, the number one limiting factor to reuse of sludge in agriculture. It's an unknown, and fear of the problem is sometim […]
- RE: [Wg4] Working Group 4 meeting at FSM in Chennai - by: EricNartey February 20, 2017Hello Esther, When is this meeting? Date and time please? Regards, Eric.
- WG 7: Take part in SuSanA's Wikipedia Edit-a-thon for World Water Day (19th/20th March)! - by: ruthmiskelly February 20, 2017Hello Working Group 7, I would like to let you know about SuSanA's Wikipedia World Water Day Editathon (19th/20th March), an event being organised under the Gates Foundation Phase 3 Grant. Rationale for this event: Wikipedia has great value to those working on the periphery of the sector. For example local government actors working on policy and legisla […]
- Re: RE: [Wg4] Working Group 4 meeting at FSM in Chennai - by: muench February 21, 2017
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
Add to favourites