New Delhi promised to build hundreds of public toilets for the 2010 Commonwealth Games. Only 9 were built, and none of them are functioning. This short report from Al Jazeera’s Sohail Rahman highlights the fact that over 50 per cent of Indians have no access to clean toilets. It focuses on the lack of facilities in India’s growing cities and in schools. The report features rural development minister Jairam Ramesh, the inevitable Bindeshwar Pathak of Sulabh International and UNICEF India’s Suzanne Coates.
- Ventilation of pits for toilet blocks - by: goeco November 21, 2017Hi Philippe, Not sure of your exact climatic conditions, but a rotary cowl would only work when there is wind... I would imagine the latrines smell more in still, warm conditions? Is it only cold at night? Are the latrines mostly used during the day? Do the toilets mostly smell when the weather is warmer? The choice with solar extractor fans is either direct […]
- Re: Reducing desiccation time for feces in UDDT - question on research parameters - by: evemackinnon7 November 21, 2017Following this up David
- Strauch (1991) 'Pathogen Safety Zone Graph' Is it relevant?! - by: evemackinnon7 November 21, 2017Thanks for this, yes I have the World Bank book sitting beside now and have reviewed the chapters in detail that contain the individual temperature time die of graph, from what Strauch developed the comprehensive safety zone graph. The thing is and I find troubling is - is it relevant to use with thermophilic composting systems for treatment of raw faecal sl […]
- Strauch (1991) 'Pathogen Safety Zone Graph' - by: muench November 21, 2017Just wanted to point out that we've had a related discussion here on the forum: forum.susana.org/34-urine-diversion-syst...rch-parameters#21072 The title of that thread was: Reducing desiccation time for feces in UDDT - question on research parameters David Crosweller, who I think had a similar question to you, posted there: forum.susana.org/34-urine-di […]
- Evapotranspiration Toilet with a difference from India - by: muench November 21, 2017Dear Rajiv, Thanks for pointing this out. In my role as moderator, I have now moved the previous posts on this toilet type into this new thread by Nitya. I think it makes sense to keep it all together in one thread. Regards, Elisabeth
- Ventilation of pits for toilet blocks - by: goeco November 21, 2017