New Delhi promised to build hundreds of public toilets for the 2010 Commonwealth Games. Only 9 were built, and none of them are functioning. This short report from Al Jazeera’s Sohail Rahman highlights the fact that over 50 per cent of Indians have no access to clean toilets. It focuses on the lack of facilities in India’s growing cities and in schools. The report features rural development minister Jairam Ramesh, the inevitable Bindeshwar Pathak of Sulabh International and UNICEF India’s Suzanne Coates.
What sanitation topics you are interested in?
- Re: Sanitation for the Homeless in the US - by: F H Mughal December 9, 2016Dear Mikkel and Mark, Thank you for sharing useful and interesting information. Mark: You say:"There is a also a notion that providing sanitation will encourage more people to camp on public land." Does that mean that the municipal departments will not provide sanitation facilities to them? Your attachment, along with the photos therein, is interes […]
- Re: Online Course Faecal Sludge Management: next run January - May 2017! - by: alcamachog December 9, 2016Thank you for the course Mariska, It is a huge demand for addressing the problem with sludge on sanitation. Please, take mi into account. Sincerely yours, Alvaro Camacho G. Water and Sanitation Specialist La Paz - Bolivia
- Re: Sanitation for the Homeless in the US - by: markllo December 8, 2016From numbers I've seen the there are are more homeless on the U.S. West Coast than other parts of the country. Interestingly these issues are happening in very liberal cities who are working hard to find solutions. In Seattle there has been a huge population boom that has caused a huge spike in housing prices that has caused a sharp decrease in marginal […]
- Re: Sanitation for the Homeless in the US - by: KaiMikkel December 8, 2016Mughal - By some estimates there are currently millions of people in the United States who lack stable living situations. In addition to those that are termed the "chronic homeless" (people served and thus recorded by social service agencies) these estimates include people who are living in their automobiles, squatters, migrant farm workers, so-cal […]
- Re: Internship with Cairn Foundation - by: dannyogwo December 8, 2016Dear How can one apply? Daniel
- Re: Sanitation for the Homeless in the US - by: F H Mughal December 9, 2016
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
Add to favourites