New Delhi promised to build hundreds of public toilets for the 2010 Commonwealth Games. Only 9 were built, and none of them are functioning. This short report from Al Jazeera’s Sohail Rahman highlights the fact that over 50 per cent of Indians have no access to clean toilets. It focuses on the lack of facilities in India’s growing cities and in schools. The report features rural development minister Jairam Ramesh, the inevitable Bindeshwar Pathak of Sulabh International and UNICEF India’s Suzanne Coates.
What are your sanitation information sources?
- Re: Time taken for faecal sludge tankers to discharge? - by: kevintayler January 18, 2017Thanks Reetu Your information is useful. It confirms what has become clear from other people's information that it takes longer to discharge than suggested by theoretical calculations based on orifice theory. This may be partly due to the point already made by Shaji that the operators do not always open the valve fully to avoid splashing. I think it mea […]
- Re: Time taken for faecal sludge tankers to discharge? - by: Reetu January 18, 2017Hello Kevin, This is late now but just wanted to share unloading time in context of Nepal. We, Environment and Public Heath Organization (ENPHO), had done questionnaire survey with the sludge emptier of Kathamndu valley, capital city of Nepal, and also recorded the time of unloading by ourselves. According to them and from our experience, it takes 7 to 10 mi […]
- Re: Dry toilets in Ethiopia - by: marrath January 17, 2017Hello Manuel, there are several aspects to consider when choosing a sanitation technology. For information about the technologies I would suggest the Compendium of Sanitation by Tilley et. al. 2014. There, the different technologies are well described. I only have experience in Arba Minch, in the Southern Region of Ethiopia. During the ROSA project (Resource […]
- Re: The Tiger Toilet which works with worms - like in-situ vermi-composting (field trials in India, Uganda and Burma) - Bear Valley Ventures Limited, UK - by: smecca January 17, 2017Dean, Effectively, the GSAP Microflush toilet is open source. We only ask that those intending to build our toilets get proper training. Putting our training guide on-line opens the door to someone taking a shortcut or scaling in the wrong direction leaving a potential bad mark on our design. If you have artesans in a community where you are working, we woul […]
- If you're a government employee working on Rural Sanitation, please take this survey - by: emilype January 17, 2017The World Bank, USAID and UNICEF, with help from Susana, are preparing an international webinar series to address emerging rural sanitation challenges – particularly those related to open defection and unimproved sanitation. The target audience for this webinar series is government staff. To help us customize the design to best meet government staff needs co […]
- Re: Time taken for faecal sludge tankers to discharge? - by: kevintayler January 18, 2017
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
Add to favourites