New Delhi promised to build hundreds of public toilets for the 2010 Commonwealth Games. Only 9 were built, and none of them are functioning. This short report from Al Jazeera’s Sohail Rahman highlights the fact that over 50 per cent of Indians have no access to clean toilets. It focuses on the lack of facilities in India’s growing cities and in schools. The report features rural development minister Jairam Ramesh, the inevitable Bindeshwar Pathak of Sulabh International and UNICEF India’s Suzanne Coates.
How many times do you visit Sanitation Updates per month?
- Re: Has anyone tried to develop a DALY for sanitation? - by: kengelly March 24, 2017Thank you so much for the quick response, Joe! I should have known that Sandy and Jamie would have worked on this.
- It’s not all about toilets: Debunking 7 myths about urban sanitation on World Water Day - by: Doreen March 24, 2017Dear All, Very interesting article regarding myths about urban sanitation in the water blog submitted by Martin Gambrill (World Bank) blogs.worldbank.org/water/debunking-7-my...tion-world-water-day Best regards, Doreen
- Re: SuSanA webinar: ‘Multi-Sectoral Actions for WASH – the theoretical vs. the practical’ on Tuesday, March 21st 2017 at 14:00 CET (Stockholm time) - by: Alex2017 March 24, 2017Dear colleagues, The webinar was interesting because it showed that people are working together, in this case to improve WASH and NUT. We also noted, once again, that achieving this is difficult. Maybe we have some degree of confusion in terms of, once we agree to collaborate, also agreeing on how we shall cooperate. When collaborating, people work together […]
- Ti - Toilet Integration - Bus Toilet for women - by: Riya March 24, 2017There is a massive need to increase the availability and standard of communal toilets in India to defeat the practice of ODF. Where they exist they are poorly maintained, hence are unhygienic which deters people, particularly women from using them. To overcome the issue, Saraplast has come up with a new concept of refurbishing old buses into integrated sanit […]
- How can we Involve Citizens in Policy Making for Urban Sanitation? What is the importance of participatory and transparent wastewater governance? - by: WIN March 24, 2017Citizens have a role to play in decision making for urban sanitation planning. But, meaningfully engaging with citizens is not an easy process. Some politicians use the pretence of citizen participation to show that they are considering the population’s point of view or to satisfy a donor’s expectation of participation, when in practice the demands expressed […]
- Re: Has anyone tried to develop a DALY for sanitation? - by: kengelly March 24, 2017
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
Add to favourites