New Delhi promised to build hundreds of public toilets for the 2010 Commonwealth Games. Only 9 were built, and none of them are functioning. This short report from Al Jazeera’s Sohail Rahman highlights the fact that over 50 per cent of Indians have no access to clean toilets. It focuses on the lack of facilities in India’s growing cities and in schools. The report features rural development minister Jairam Ramesh, the inevitable Bindeshwar Pathak of Sulabh International and UNICEF India’s Suzanne Coates.
- Emptying of cesspit (holding tank) - by: muench May 24, 2018The toilet that you are describing sounds like an aqua privy to me (strange name, isn't it). They've become very rare and are not even included in the Eawag Compendium ( www.eawag.ch/en/department/sandec/publikationen/compendium/ ) - or actually they'd probably call it, like you, dry toilet connected to holding tank. Wikipedia has this informa […]
- New group handwashing device - by: janschlenk May 24, 2018Dear Colleagues, whoever is interested to get a deeper insight in the features of the above mentioned group-handwashing device, the WASHaLOT 3.0, might have a look at a Webinar on its development and technical applicability assessment which was held on May 23 and is now uploaded here in the SuSanA Library. Both the recorded webinar on the WASHaLOT 3.0 presen […]
- A New Technique to Purify River Water for Use in Rural Communities - by: varkey May 24, 2018Roughing filters are good enough for waste water management and as a pre-treatment procedure for potable water. Regards, Dr Varkey
- SuSanA webinar: The Bill Please: Financing O&M, a Global Perspective on June 7, 2018 (13:00hrs CEST) - by: shobana May 24, 2018Registrations for this webinar is open now. www.susana.org/en/susana-webinar-the-bill-please
- Emptying of cesspit (holding tank) - by: hajo May 24, 2018dear Elisabeth, thanks for your concern and commitment! yes, it is a pit latrine with a fully lined holding tank. And at the moment it is planned only as household latrine, no thoughts yet spent on its usefulness for public toilet/ablution block. No, we do not expect more stench than from the current pit latrines. The 'typical' toilet smell stems f […]
- Emptying of cesspit (holding tank) - by: muench May 24, 2018