New Delhi promised to build hundreds of public toilets for the 2010 Commonwealth Games. Only 9 were built, and none of them are functioning. This short report from Al Jazeera’s Sohail Rahman highlights the fact that over 50 per cent of Indians have no access to clean toilets. It focuses on the lack of facilities in India’s growing cities and in schools. The report features rural development minister Jairam Ramesh, the inevitable Bindeshwar Pathak of Sulabh International and UNICEF India’s Suzanne Coates.
How many times do you visit Sanitation Updates per month?
- Ti - Toilet Integration - Bus Toilet for women - by: Riya March 24, 2017There is a massive need to increase the availability and standard of communal toilets in India to defeat the practice of ODF. Where they exist they are poorly maintained, hence are unhygienic which deters people, particularly women from using them. To overcome the issue, Saraplast has come up with a new concept of refurbishing old buses into integrated sanit […]
- How can we Involve Citizens in Policy Making for Urban Sanitation? What is the importance of participatory and transparent wastewater governance? - by: WIN March 24, 2017Citizens have a role to play in decision making for urban sanitation planning. But, meaningfully engaging with citizens is not an easy process. Some politicians use the pretence of citizen participation to show that they are considering the population’s point of view or to satisfy a donor’s expectation of participation, when in practice the demands expressed […]
- Aid & Development Asia Summit 2017 - by: AlinaAIDF March 24, 2017The 3rd annual Aid & Development Asia Summit will take place on 14-15 June 2017 in Nay Pyi Taw, the capital city of Myanmar (Burma). Gathering 250+ humanitarian and development professionals, The Aid & Development Asia Summit will bring together regional and global expertise to discuss innovations and partnerships for aid and development programmes i […]
- Re: Working Group 1 (capacity development): Take part in SuSanA's Wikipedia Edit-a-thon 19-21 March - Example: article on capacity development - by: muench March 23, 2017Hi Millie, That's great, thank you! I had a look at the article on capacity development that you edited: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacity_building I see that you changed the first sentence in the lead - the most important part of the article, as it is used in Google search results. So that's great, it's always good to "be bold" on Wiki […]
- Re: Has anyone tried to develop a DALY for sanitation? - by: joeturner March 23, 2017Sandy Cairncross at the LSHTM and collaborators have been producing papers looking at DALYs saved with sanitation for a while, and the results are always quite surprising. One of his recent papers is this one: journals.plos.org/plosmedicine/article?i...journal.pmed.1000367
- Ti - Toilet Integration - Bus Toilet for women - by: Riya March 24, 2017
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
Add to favourites