New Delhi promised to build hundreds of public toilets for the 2010 Commonwealth Games. Only 9 were built, and none of them are functioning. This short report from Al Jazeera’s Sohail Rahman highlights the fact that over 50 per cent of Indians have no access to clean toilets. It focuses on the lack of facilities in India’s growing cities and in schools. The report features rural development minister Jairam Ramesh, the inevitable Bindeshwar Pathak of Sulabh International and UNICEF India’s Suzanne Coates.
What type of content is most useful for you?
- WEDC is hiring! 4 Water Engineering Jobs - by: pippa August 16, 2017Water, Engineering and Development Centre - 4 Water Engineering Jobs applications close 11th September Our vibrant and growing water engineering research group currently comprises fourteen academic staff. If you are passionate about water engineering and interested to join us, we are recruiting 2 Professors, 1 Senior Lecturer and 1 Lecturer. Further informat […]
- New pS-Eau 'Resources' Review / nouvelle revue pS-Eau 'Ressources' - by: CGenevaux August 16, 2017Dear all, We've just published our new edition of Resources, pS-Eau literature review on WASH topics. This review selects some recent publications from the grey and white literature, focusing on water and sanitation services in developing countries. Resources is available in French and in English, and all documents are free to access. You can download t […]
- User interface of source separating dry toilets for sitting and squatting - by: LenaK August 16, 2017Here is the description of a new grant we received from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation in the area of user interface development: Title of grant: User interface of source separating dry toilets for sitting and squatting Name of lead organization: EOOS Primary contact at lead organization: Harald Gründl / Project lead, Lotte Kristoferitsch / Project […]
- Envirosan tackling South Africa's Sanitation Shortfall - by: bmajwede August 16, 2017Dear Delegates. The Sanitation Shortfall in South Africa may be defined as a combination of the following: • Service Delivery Backlogs (People who have never been served with any form of sanitation) • Refurbishment Backlogs (Sanitation Infrastructure that has deteriorated beyond regular maintenance requirements) • Extension Backlogs (Existing Infrastructure […]
- New WASH'Nutrition practical guidebook (Action Contre la Faim) - by: jpeeters August 16, 2017Dear members, I am pleased to share with you the new guidebook published by Action Contre la Faim in early 2017: WASH’Nutrition - A practical guidebook on increasing nutritional impact through integration of WASH and Nutrition programs, for practitioners in humanitarian and development contexts. This guidebook has been prepared by Action Contre la Faim - ACF […]
- WEDC is hiring! 4 Water Engineering Jobs - by: pippa August 16, 2017