New Delhi promised to build hundreds of public toilets for the 2010 Commonwealth Games. Only 9 were built, and none of them are functioning. This short report from Al Jazeera’s Sohail Rahman highlights the fact that over 50 per cent of Indians have no access to clean toilets. It focuses on the lack of facilities in India’s growing cities and in schools. The report features rural development minister Jairam Ramesh, the inevitable Bindeshwar Pathak of Sulabh International and UNICEF India’s Suzanne Coates.
What type of content is most useful for you?
- When you hear the term "dry toilet" or "dry sanitation": does that include a pit latrine in your mind or not? - by: muench October 23, 2017That's a good suggestion in my opinion... I agree with you about striking "dry sanitation" and "dry toilet" from our vocabulary. What do others think? It would only work if we reached a consensus on this. One method that can help to cement a consensus that we have reached is to get the Wikipedia articles about dry toilet and dry sani […]
- Information required on Toilets based on evapotranspiration technology - by: shrikant October 23, 2017Hello everyone ! I am working in the field of environmental sanitation for last three decades. Recently I came across a design of toilet being tried out in Uttar Pradesh, India which is supposed to be based on Evapotranspiration technology. As per my knowledge this technology is basically suggested for the secondary treatment of septic tank effluent. However […]
- When you hear the term "dry toilet" or "dry sanitation": does that include a pit latrine in your mind or not? - by: hajo October 23, 2017Hi all, I agree that ‘dry sanitation’ does not make much sense and should probably be scrapped from our vocabulary. I also agree that ‘toilets without flush’ can be a ‘main group’ with ‘subgroups’ of 1) de-hydrating toilets (dry excreta management), 2) composting toilets, and 3) pit latrines, ... what else?. Because Dean indicated that there can be de-hydrat […]
- When you hear the term "dry toilet" or "dry sanitation": does that include a pit latrine in your mind or not? - by: bowenarrow October 23, 2017Yes Elisabeth that would make sense to me, as my particular interest is in the use or not, of water as a disposal method, and the re-use ideas that are out there. Cheers Ross
- Show me how to use this discussion forum! - Some functions you might not know about yet (short video) - by: muench October 23, 2017I have created a short video (5 minutes) to highlight some functions of this discussion forum which you might not have discovered yet. See here: The video includes my online demonstrations of: - Making a new post directly in the right sub-category - Editing one's post - Sending another user a private message - Looking at the statistics - Viewing someone […]
- When you hear the term "dry toilet" or "dry sanitation": does that include a pit latrine in your mind or not? - by: muench October 23, 2017