New Delhi promised to build hundreds of public toilets for the 2010 Commonwealth Games. Only 9 were built, and none of them are functioning. This short report from Al Jazeera’s Sohail Rahman highlights the fact that over 50 per cent of Indians have no access to clean toilets. It focuses on the lack of facilities in India’s growing cities and in schools. The report features rural development minister Jairam Ramesh, the inevitable Bindeshwar Pathak of Sulabh International and UNICEF India’s Suzanne Coates.
- "Sustainable sanitation and the SDGs: interlinkages and opportunities” - Interlinkages Document available in the SuSanA Library - by: muench November 24, 2017Dear Cecilia, I noticed that the SDG Interlinkages Document by SuSanA still has a "draft" watermark (see www.susana.org/en/knowledge-hub/resource...library/details/2859 ). When do you think it will be upgraded into a final version? Is there currently still a review process ongoing? Also, we have cited the document in the new Wikipedia article about […]
- Reusable Sanitary Pad Manufacturing in Nigeria - Global Giving Crowd Funding - by: muench November 24, 2017Dear Susan, I think Daniel's post about "Reusable Sanitary Pad Manufacturing in Nigeria - Global Giving Crowd Funding" is OK for this forum. Particularly given that he is not a one-off poster but has been with the forum for a while, having made around 30 posts on a range of topics by now. We all struggle to get funding, so why not let him use […]
- Introducing Tippy tap Kenya (handwashing at schools) - by: muench November 24, 2017Dear Kennedy, I've looked around your website a bit. The work you are doing is so important! I found out that:Tippy tap-Kenya is a community based non-profit organization dedicated to promote best hygiene practices and access to hand-washing stations with soap & water by installing tippy tap ,plus supply soaps and initiate programs with health coord […]
- There is now a Wikipedia article about SDG6 (Sustainable Development Goal 6) which mentions SuSanA - by: muench November 23, 2017Dear all, We now have a Wikipedia article about SDG6 (Sustainable Development Goal 6) which mentions SuSanA! See here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sustainable_Development_Goal_6 It was created mainly by Diane and myself as part of our intense Sanitation Wikipedia project drive ahead of World Toilet Day (Diane had spoken about it here: forum.susana.org/198-wikipedi […]
- SaniArt, to drive demand. - by: Anthony November 23, 2017Dear Sanitation Enthusiasts, A belated Happy World Toilet Day to one and all! With the help of the brilliant musicians and producers from Chicoco Radio, Port Harcourt, Nigeria, I hereby present a song for the occasion: "S-A-F-E (poop in a bucket) - I hope you like it. My question to the forum is: What is the role of art in driving demand for sanitation? […]
- "Sustainable sanitation and the SDGs: interlinkages and opportunities” - Interlinkages Document available in the SuSanA Library - by: muench November 24, 2017