New Delhi promised to build hundreds of public toilets for the 2010 Commonwealth Games. Only 9 were built, and none of them are functioning. This short report from Al Jazeera’s Sohail Rahman highlights the fact that over 50 per cent of Indians have no access to clean toilets. It focuses on the lack of facilities in India’s growing cities and in schools. The report features rural development minister Jairam Ramesh, the inevitable Bindeshwar Pathak of Sulabh International and UNICEF India’s Suzanne Coates.
- Grant funding from the Canadian Government’s Grand Challenge to Peepoople Kenya - by: indiebio June 22, 2018Hi Thanks for this post. Do you know what the progress of the PeePoo or similar is currently (2018?) Many thanks
- Re: Strategic Plans for Public Toilet Management in Australia - by: muench June 22, 2018Australia, the country with the BEST public toilets! I thought I'd share some photos with you of a public toilet at a playground just down the road from where I live. Some things to point out: - The toilet signs were new to me. I had to look up in the internet what RH and ambulant stands for. Would you have known? RH is for right hand and tells wheelcha […]
- Invitation to contribute to SuSanA by joining the team of co-leads for Working Group 5 - by: muench June 21, 2018Dear Daniel, Could you please provide an update on the process you are following here? You had a high number of people responding to your invitation to contribute to Working Group 5. What are your next steps now to harness that available energy? Perhaps you've already been in e-mail exchange with these people? I am curious. If your process works then we […]
- Social Media Influence on Health / Hygiene Behaviour - by: conniebenjamin June 21, 2018Dear Alice, See a relevant blog post from WaterAid Cambodia on how they created a viral song about handwashing washmatters.wateraid.org/blog/going-vira...o-a-handwashing-song This blog post is focused on how to reach a lot of people rather than impact on handwashing behaviours, but it's a really fun song! Best, Connie
- Pellets from UDDT/composting toilet wastes? - by: ediauemma June 21, 2018Hi Froggy, Its is great to have you in the forum. I am Emmanuel, I work for GOAL in Uganda. We currently have a very serious refugee situation in Uganda (the Southern Sudanese and DR Congo refugees) and I guess my Country would be a very good case study for your PhD thesis is indeed you have not zeroed in to a particular case yet. I am following the rest of […]
- Grant funding from the Canadian Government’s Grand Challenge to Peepoople Kenya - by: indiebio June 22, 2018