New Delhi promised to build hundreds of public toilets for the 2010 Commonwealth Games. Only 9 were built, and none of them are functioning. This short report from Al Jazeera’s Sohail Rahman highlights the fact that over 50 per cent of Indians have no access to clean toilets. It focuses on the lack of facilities in India’s growing cities and in schools. The report features rural development minister Jairam Ramesh, the inevitable Bindeshwar Pathak of Sulabh International and UNICEF India’s Suzanne Coates.
- Train Toilets - by: F H Mughal December 10, 2017Train Toilets Toilets in trains in Pakistan are always smelly. Perhaps that is the case as well in Indian trains. According to the blog of Lekshmi Priya ( www.thebetterindia.com/123842/tired-of-s...ets-that-wont-stink/ “toilets in railway coaches will no longer be stinky or blocked, for Indian Railways intends to roll out 100 coaches with imported bio-vacuum […]
- Call for papers for 7th IWA Conference on Resources Oriented Sanitation - by: Langergraber December 10, 2017The call for papers for the 7th IWA Specialized Conference on Resources Oriented Sanitation conference has been launched. The 7th IWA Conference on Resources Oriented Sanitation will be held together with the 15th IWA Specialized Conference on Small Water and Wastewater Systems from October 14-18, 2018 in Haifa, Israel. Deadline for submitting 2-page abstrac […]
- Manual Scavenging - by: F H Mughal December 9, 2017Manual Scavenging The second picture in: www.pacsindia.org/projects/advocacy-and-...is-manual-scavenging , the subline of which reads “A female manual scavenger carries out her work, emptying a dry latrine in Lucknow district, Uttar Pradesh,” is the sight which can be found in the rural areas of Sindh province, Pakistan. Look at the picture carefully, the wo […]
- Summary: The relevance of a cheap motorbike for Sanitation - by: vpost December 9, 2017Dear Kris, Thanks for your response. It is the ease of comparison that matters most both inside and between outside countries. Specific circumstances as indicated by you may thus be taken into account. We tried to address this in the full paper that is also in the SuSanA library: www.susana.org/en/knowledge-hub/resource...library/details/2895 . I am also att […]
- From missing market incentives to misaligned incentives What is choking India’s rural sanitation progress? - by: Ashok December 9, 2017There is at least one building centre in Bihar, which has got more than 800 good quality bio toilets ready in stock for last 18 months but no body is ready to buy. He is rerouting the prefab components to other buildings so that he is able to salvage his money, whatever he can. There are at least three more manufacturing units with the required skills and te […]
- Train Toilets - by: F H Mughal December 10, 2017