New Delhi promised to build hundreds of public toilets for the 2010 Commonwealth Games. Only 9 were built, and none of them are functioning. This short report from Al Jazeera’s Sohail Rahman highlights the fact that over 50 per cent of Indians have no access to clean toilets. It focuses on the lack of facilities in India’s growing cities and in schools. The report features rural development minister Jairam Ramesh, the inevitable Bindeshwar Pathak of Sulabh International and UNICEF India’s Suzanne Coates.
How many times do you visit Sanitation Updates per month?
- Re: 4th International Faecal Sludge Management Conference - 19-22 February 2017 in Chennai, India - Meet us at the SuSanA Booth! - by: arno February 26, 2017Here attached is the presentation I made at the FSM4 session on knowledge management. Some of the questions from the audience included: 1. how many of the 8000 members are active on the Forum (answer about 1% are very active https://www.wikiwand.com/en/1%25_rule_(Internet_culture) 2.how can the impact of the current development project be measured - what par […]
- Re: WG 7: Take part in SuSanA's Wikipedia Edit-a-thon for World Water Day (19th/20th March)! - by: Madhuri February 26, 2017Hello Ruth, It's good and it very critical situation on WASH in Nepal instead of among development organizations working here. I am keen interested Menstrual Hygiene and also WASH and toilet day. Regards, Madhuri from Nepal
- Reply: Vermi-Trickling Filters for Sewage Treatment (looking for help to design) - by: AjitSeshadri February 26, 2017Hi, I have been doing Dewats mode waste water treatment. HRT in all phases is important. All together try to have min. 8 to 10 days.. then it works fine... with regular O&M practices... efforts on manual labour etc.. quantify sludge/ bio residues and co compost them.. w wshs. Ajit Seshadri
- Reply: Constructing Septic Tanks On-Site Using Ferrocement - by: AjitSeshadri February 26, 2017How does a man come out.. opening like a boiler man hole is given.. 30 yrs back..it used be eliptical opening 300x450mm.. 12by18".. now its 450x450 circular..or more.. many types of openings are possible.. hand holes.. 150x150mm. and smaller ones for sensors etc.. w wshs..
- Reply: New group handwashing device - by: AjitSeshadri February 26, 2017Hi, Me too am Seshadri, Ajit. I dabble with w water remediation on bio methods..phyto r.. using plants sp.. also FSM on co composting with cow dung..gobar..hindi. And notings on ODF.. applying COD..ie controlled open defecation.. with adaptations.. w wshs.. Ajit Seshadri..
- Re: 4th International Faecal Sludge Management Conference - 19-22 February 2017 in Chennai, India - Meet us at the SuSanA Booth! - by: arno February 26, 2017
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
Add to favourites