New Delhi promised to build hundreds of public toilets for the 2010 Commonwealth Games. Only 9 were built, and none of them are functioning. This short report from Al Jazeera’s Sohail Rahman highlights the fact that over 50 per cent of Indians have no access to clean toilets. It focuses on the lack of facilities in India’s growing cities and in schools. The report features rural development minister Jairam Ramesh, the inevitable Bindeshwar Pathak of Sulabh International and UNICEF India’s Suzanne Coates.
- MPH, MBA Candidate Seeking Internship for Summer 2018 - by: WASTEAdvisersmw January 16, 2018Dear Genevieve, I'm the country director for WASTE Advisers in Malawi, South-East Africa and we are promoting a number of sanitation business models within the sanitation value chain of Blantyre. These include 20+ Pay Toilets for market places, 60 Masons for low cost toilet construction, pit emptying businesses and will be doing co-composting and hopefu […]
- Agriculture, Nutrition & Health (ANH) Academy Week: 25-29 June, Accra - by: JoeYates January 16, 2018Dear Colleagues, The 3rd Annual Agriculture, Nutrition & Health Academy Week will take place from 25-29 June 2018, in Accra, Ghana. Spread across five days, this international, interdisciplinary conference explores agri-environmental sectors, food systems, nutrition and health; bringing together researchers from across the world to share advances in deve […]
- Introducing new WG 5 co-lead: Daniel Ddiba - by: ddiba January 16, 2018Dear SuSanA WG5 members and the entire SuSanA community, I am glad to inform you that I am joining Gina as co-lead for Working Group 5 - Food security and productive sanitation systems. About me: I work with the Stockholm Environment Institute on the Sustainable Sanitation Initiative and my training includes an MSc in environmental engineering and sustainabl […]
- Manhole Covers with Art in Japan - by: F H Mughal January 16, 2018Manhole Covers with Art in Japan I always enjoy when a unpleasant thing is presented in a pleasant and beautiful way. According to a recent news in a local paper ( www.dawn.com/news/1382981/japan-sewers-c...act-with-manhole-art ), Japan’s sewerage industry has found a way to clean up its dirty and smelly image: elaborately designed and colourful manhole cove […]
- Market Based Programming for Emergencies - by: eshaylor January 16, 2018Hi there, I wanted to share with the SuSanA community the Global WASH clusters position paper on Cash and Markets for Emergencies - http://www.susana.org/en/knowledge-hub/resources-and-publications/library/details/2923 This paper has been developed by the WASH cluster's Technical Working Group (TWiG) on cash and markets fro WASH, who will be discussing […]
- MPH, MBA Candidate Seeking Internship for Summer 2018 - by: WASTEAdvisersmw January 16, 2018